|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
- Action Girl
- Big Eater
- Blade on a Stick: Her weapon of choice, in the anime. In the manga/OVA, Kotoha summons one for her, but is immediately chastised for it, as dangerous, pointy things run counter to Hime's chosen M.O.
- Also, the Dragon Spear. The real one is a glowy energy variant.
- Can't Hold Her Liquor: Hime gets very easily upset and cries when drunk, and becomes even more of a Big Eater than normal.
- The Hero
- Ice Cream Koan: Makes up and tries to popularize her own "historical idioms." Everyone just nods and lets the first one pass as if it was actually something profound until Ao, who's heard it from her all day, snaps and demands to know what the hell Hime is saying.
Hime: "As they say, 'The wise monk scoops white jade.'"
- Inadequate Inheritor: Worries about being this, for the position of Mayor. She isn't.
- Large Ham: At times.
- Love Triangle: A mild, friendly one with Touka, over Akina. He hasn't noticed.
- Magnetic Hero: In the backstory. Much of the cast is present because she found them as children and offered them sanctuary in the town.
- They Call Me Mister Tibbs: A Running Gag with Kyousuke.
- Our Dragons Are Different
- Possessed Childhood Friend: Gin, in the anime. Doesn't seem to be a thing in the manga.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: With Akina. Not that they're a couple. Not that she'd mind.
- Scarf of Asskicking
- Simple Staff: Her weapon of choice, in the manga.
- Tsundere: Only a mild example herself. But she has a song.
- Badass Abnormal
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: Tuning. And dropping, though he doesn't know it yet.
- Kamehame Hadoken: The form his Tuning tends to take.
- Non-Action Guy: To his dismay, as he lacks the strength, speed, and powers of the youkai cast, and because strenuous use of his own power is exceptionally dangerous. He still manages a few Big Damn Hero moments from time to time, though.
- Power Degeneration: He's not completely immune to the power he channels, and using it too much will send him sliding off to the otherworld.
- Power Makes Your Hair Grow: The most visible sign of Power Degeneration - the longer it gets, the closer he is to slipping away.
- Real Men Wear Pink: Akina is a great cook and handy with a sewing needle.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: With Hime.
- Straight Man
- Team Mom: Has shades of this. Tagteams with Ao.
- Token Human
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Kyousuke.
- Crazy Prepared: Kotoha's tendency to create "shortcuts" to random things that she finds fun or cool can end up looking like she's Crazy Prepared. Other times she's completely unprepared, lacking shortcuts for even very basic useful things like band-aids. And the way she creates shortcuts? At some point she licked those German artillery cannons.
- Half-Human Hybrid: Overlapping with Demonic Possession.
- Les Yay: Revealed after she gets drunk at a party.
- Joshikousei: She even has "sailor uniform" as a shortcut.
- More Dakka: In the anime, she summons machine pistols. In the manga, she just summons bullets from midair. In the OVA, she uses planes.
- Mundane Utility: Most applications of her power. Examples include: nails, band-aids, school uniforms, lampposts, and German 8.8cm Flak 36 artillery guns.
- Otaku: For German WWII military hardware.
- Summon Magic / Words Can Break My Bones: Her Youkai power, which allows her to create objects by naming or describing them. Natural and simple objects she can get away with naming, anything artificial and particularly complicated she must describe. She can also lick an object to assign a "shortcut" word or phrase to recreate it later (such as "Acht-Acht," German for "Eight-Eight," to create the 8.8cm Flak 36 artillery gun).
- Catgirl: A type of youkai called a Satori. Her "cat ears" are actually psychic antennae.
- Calling Your Attacks: "Satellite!"
- Nice Hat
- Possessed Older Brother: Gin.
- Team Mom
- Telepathy: And all the attendant uses, though she didn't realize the potential went much beyond mind reading until Enjin revealed some of his tricks. Mind-reading, projecting illusions into people's minds, even coordinating the others during the fight against Zakuro.
- The Chick
- White-Haired Pretty Girl
- Does Not Know His Own Strength: A constant worry. Uses his shackle to keep it under control. Takes it off when it's time to get dangerous.
- Drunk on Milk: Makes fun of everyone else at a small party for getting drunk off a small amount of sake, then promptly gets drunk on Coke.
- Knight Templar Big Brother
- Blue Oni: Quite literally. Plays this role to both his sister and Hime.
- My Sister Is Off-Limits: Has not explicitly said this to anyone (*cough*Akina*ahem*) but it's written all over his attitude towards Touka's relationships with others.
- Power Limiter: His shackle. Also a Magic Feather.
- The Big Guy: His main contribution to a fight is his titanic strength.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: With Akina, when he's not being The Rival.
- Cute Bruiser
- Does Not Know Her Own Strength: Like Kyousuke, occasionally has trouble managing her inhuman strength. However, she's also put a lot more practice into controlling it so she can go without her shackle.
- Red Oni
- Power Limiter: Her bracelet, though she eventually learns to go without it.
Denizens of Sakura-Shinmachi
V Juri F (Victor Juri Frankenstein)
- Action Girl
- Badass Normal
- Charles Atlas Superpower
- Dead Little Sister (or so she thinks...)
- Hello, Nurse!: Complete with Naughty Nurse Outfit (a "family heirloom" that Yuuhi had created all the way back in the late Edo period)
- Hospital Hottie
- Action Girl
- Girls Love Stuffed Animals: Yae is obsessed with teddy bears. Obsessed. When Hime ends up with an old mascot costume head that nobody else wanted, Yae gladly takes it off Hime's hands and proceeds to wear it while out at night patrolling the city for criminals.
- Les Yay: Entirely too happy when Kotoha drunkenly declares her own sexual orientation.
- Naughty Nun: Despite being a goddess herself.
- Nuns Are Mikos
- Physical God
- Power Limiter: She makes all of them for use in Sakura-Shinmachi, and has been since she and Yuuhi put down roots in the area. Yuuhi admits he can't make them nearly so well or as small as she does.
- Reality Warper: To a certain extent within her domain as land goddess of Sakura-Shinmachi.
- Really 700 Years Old: Several centuries old, at least. She and her brother Yuuhi spent many years wandering as unrooted land gods before settling down in their present domains.
- Weirdness Censor: One of her specialties. She made everyone forget Hime was a youkai with a spell that would also make them overlook any oddities as "just the way it is," and also hid Mariabelle and her father as foreigners in Japan during the isolationist Edo period.
- Chinese Vampire
- Dark and Troubled Past: Rin's arms, legs, and back are covered in scars from years on the run from people who hate and fear youkai. Her first friend and the first person she ever felt safe with fell and became obsessed with possessing Rin as a toy. She eventually got away and was brought into Sakura-Shinmachi, but it wasn't a fun time along the way.
- Our Jiang Shi Are Different: Though called one, Rin isn't at all like a "hopping vampire" that Jiang Shi usually refers to. Instead of needing a talisman to keep her restrained, instead she needs one to keep her animate (originally a spell written on paper, replaced with a sliver of the Nana-gou with her name on it). She's more like an intelligent zombie that doesn't decompose.
- Parental Substitute: Takes care of both Kana and Mina.
- Police Are Useless: Shidou is only barely involved in solving any of the more serious problems that plague Sakura-Shinmachi, though he does help out (by acting as driver) during the Thorny Path arc. To be fair, though, most of the stuff they end up facing calls for more than just brute strength (which Hime, Touka, and Kyousuke have ably covered already).
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Shinozuka hints that Shidou may be the physically strongest person around, but Shidou prefers to act as a simple cop and care for Mina and Kana, barely getting involved in the greater conflicts facing the town.
- Our Werewolves Are Different
- Our Mermaids Are Different/Our Vampires Are Different: Mina and Kana are a pair of half-vampire, half-mermaid twin sisters.
- Hot for Teacher: Has a huge crush on Vice Principal Uzu and even proposes marrying him someday since he's still single.
- Those Three Girls: With Mizuki and another girl.
- Chivalrous Pervert: Emphasis on pervert. He's even groped his own sister, joking that the sibling relationship between gods is a looser thing than that of humans.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Yuuhi constantly talks about how as gods he and Yae shouldn't interfere with or help mortals, and he often insults the men and sexually harasses the women around him. However, when it comes down to people really getting in over their heads, he'll readily give warnings and useful hints, and sometimes even steps in to act directly. Yuuhi cares, he just doesn't want to seem to.
- Permanent Elected Official: The mayor of Setagaya Ward in Tokyo and the land god of same.
- Physical God
- Reality Warper: To a certain extent within his domain as a land god.
- Really 700 Years Old: Yae's older brother, and wandered Japan with her for a long time before settling down to watch over a territory that has become part of present-day Tokyo.
- Sleep Mode Size: As a land god Yuuhi is weakened outside of his domain, though appearing as an adolescent boy helps conserve his strength. Though he remains in this form most of the time anyway because Mariabelle prefers it.
Mariabelle (Victor Mariabelle Frankenstein)
- Cosplay: Mariabelle likes to dress up in very fancy and fanservicey dresses a lot, and tends to carry some extras around with her.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: One of her preferred modes of dress since it recalls the fashions of her human life.
- Really 700 Years Old: 150-200 years old, given that she came to Japan with her father when Dejima was still the only open port for foreigners. Mariabelle and her father's dress and her father's name put them in the early to mid 1800s when they arrived in Japan as well.
- Shotacon: Yuuhi keeps his appearance because she wants him to. They even share a bed.
- The Undead: Resurrected by her father Victor Frankenstein, but the magic keeping her alive needs a sponsor in the form of another living person keeping it going. When her father eventually died, Yuuhi took on the role of her sponsor.
Mayor Kazuyoshi Morino
- Car Fu
- The Dragon: As Morino's assistant, he will do anything the mayor commands of him.
- Half-Human Hybrid
- Lightning Bruiser
- Anti-Villain: His (and the Senate in general) goal is to save the world, but his choice of methods make him about as villainous as Enjin, from the perspective of Hime and Akina. About the only thing keeping him from being a full villain so far is that he has not yet acted openly on his views.
- Badass Grandpa
- Utopia Justifies the Means
- Badass Bookworm: Probably the most powerful Onmyoji in the Senate currently, and their head researcher.
- Hot for Student: Shidare used to teach medicine at a local university where Shiina and Juri were his students. He now keeps an image of Juri as his computer wallpaper...
- Badass Teacher: The vice principal of the school Hime attends, on top of his Senate work and being generally scary and imposing, and a talented Onmyoji in his own right. Being "one step beneath" someone like Shidare is nothing to sneeze at.
- Jerkass Facade: Is willing to say and do hard things as a member of the Senate, but can then immediately put the role aside and say something exactly contrary and heartfelt. Probably the Senate member most sympathetic to the plight of the youkai on Earth.
- Stern Teacher
- Hot for Teacher: A former student of Shidare's and now his assistant researcher in the Senate. She gave up on becoming a doctor after falling in love with Shidare and followed him from the university to the Senate.
- Sufficiently Advanced Technology: While the other Senate members may be masters of Onmyodo as an art, Shiina is adept with using technology to replicate what the others can do with ofuda, Kuji In, and other trappings of the practicing Onmyoji.
- Big Bad
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: Dropping, the twin power to tuning, which lets him fell anything he wishes. And tuning, because the two powers are connected.
- Demonic Possession: Inverted. He's a human spirit possessing a youkai. But played straight in that he can inflict it on others.
- Grand Theft Me: The one possessing Ao's brother Gin, allowing him to steal Gin's powers. He intends on doing the same to Akina.
- We Can Rule Together: Offered to Akina for dominion of both Earth and the Otherworld, since he only has diminished control of the powers of whomever he possesses, so that the two working together would be stronger than just him with both their natural powers.
- White-Haired Pretty Boy
- Vampiric Draining: The powers of his stolen body are slowly waning, so he needs to replenish them by draining power from another youkai. His first attempt is with Ao.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Zakuro worries after her Heel Face Turn that her powers will tempt her towards misdeed again but is overall a very nice person. Just a very nice person with power over death.
- Defeat Means Friendship
- Half-Human Hybrid: Overlapping with Demonic Possession.
- Heel Face Turn
- Improvised Golems: Despite the nature of her powers, Zakuro doesn't much deal with corpses. Instead, she "kills" soil (all the microbes, bugs, and plant life in it) and then manipulates that into giant golems.
- Les Yay: Her obsessive desire for Rin, to the point she's willing to leave the rest of the city alone if Rin just comes back to her.
- Necromancer: The powers gained when she became a half-youkai.
- People Puppets: One of her tricks after being felled a time or two by Enjin.
- Start of Darkness: Zakuro was one of the nicest people alive when she first met Rin. Then she fell...
- Yandere: ...and after falling became obsessed with possessing and keeping Rin for herself.
- Catch Phrase: "No gimmicks, no tricks."
- Dead Little Sister: Lila is the sister Juri believed dead.
- Faux Death
- Hot Witch
- Magicians Are Wizards: Shown to have a dedicated love of stage magic and related tricks in her youth, which grew into her eventually developing real magical abilities.
- Maybe Magic, Maybe Mundane: The line between which of her abilities are just stage magic and which are outright magic magic can get a little blurry on the lower end of things, though much of her abilities are obviously not simple stage magic.
- "Well Done, Sister" Girl: All she ever wanted was her sister Juri's approval and love.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.