The Loop (TV)
Do you like this video?
|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
Basic Trope: Star-Crossed Lovers are trapped in some hellish fate together.
- Straight: Faith must fulfill her role as Barrier Maiden by sealing The Legions of Hell back in the rift from whence they came... something she can only do from inside the rift. As she performs her Heroic Sacrifice, her Love Interest Lance jumps through the closing portal, choosing to stay there forever with her.
- Exaggerated: This scenario happens five minutes after Lance meets Faith for the first time.
- Justified: Faith is really everything Lance has and he basically can't live without her.
- Inverted: Lance saves Faith from her sad fate through sheer force of will.
- Faith drags Lance after her. 
- Faith and Lance go to a heavenly place...and make each other miserable.
- Subverted: Lance chooses not to join Faith, instead watching her head to her fate alone.
- Double Subverted: ...However, he then finds a way to join her after all when they have to close another rift in the unexpected sequel.
- Parodied: Lance chooses to stay with Faith forever...in New Jersey.
- Deconstructed: After choosing to remain with Faith forever, Lance later comes to question whether or not he made the right decision. The love he sacrificed everything for falls apart.
- The sacrifice is followed by something even worse: the inner psychological conflicts between the two lovers. Thus, the real Hell becomes each other.
- Reconstructed: ...But their love ultimately weathers this trial, as they find the strength to continue on through companionship.
- Zig Zagged: Lance chooses not to join Faith, but in the sequel, he changes his mind and finds a second rift to her world. However, when he finally gets there, he decides he doesn't want to as he sees the rift close before his eyes. However, he changes his mind again...
- Averted: Either Lance doesn't jump through or Faith never has to make a Heroic Sacrifice.
- Enforced: "We need a way to show how much Lance loves Faith... how about we let him join her as she performs her Heroic Sacrifice?
- They need to be together for the spinoff.
- Lampshaded: "I knew you'd jump through for me."
- Invoked: Faith deliberately makes the Heroic Sacrifice because she knows Lance will follow her.
- Defied: "Okay, we've been through a lot together, but you're not worth that!"
- Alternatively, Faith prevents Lance from following her so that he doesn't suffer the same fate she does.
- Discussed: "Isn't it romantic that Lance goes through hell just because he wants to be with her?"
- Conversed: "He isn't going to jump through, isn't he? Oh wait, he is. Romantic."
- Played For Laughs: Lance: I'd stay in this hellish realm for eternity if it means being with you. Narrator/subtitle: "One Eternity Later" Faith: "We're out." Lance: "Thank God for that, I don't think I could have taken that much longer." Faith: "It's only been ten minutes! You jerk!"
- Alternately: Lance: I'd stay in this hellish realm for eternity if it means being with you. Narrator/subtitle: "Ten Seconds Later" Lance: "I take it all back! I didn't know there'd be Monster Clowns!"
- Lance: I'd stay in this hellish realm for eternity with you. Narrator/subtitle: "Ten Seconds Later" Faith: I had no idea eternity only lasted for ten seconds.
- Played For Drama: As Lance jumps through the rift to be with Faith, he suddenly thinks of his family and friends and everyone he had left behind just to be with her, and immediately regrets jumping through. Because of this, his relationship with Faith goes south rapidly...
You Are Worth Hell. Really, you are! I'm not just saying that!
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.