Yoshiaki Kawajiri (川尻 善昭 Kawajiri Yoshiaki?, born November 18, 1950 in Yokohama) is a critically acclaimed writer and director of Japanese animation. He began his career in the "deceased" Mushi Production Animation until it closed in 1972, then went to have a succesful career in Studio Madhouse. Around 1987, Kawajuri was commisioned to make Wicked City, a very dark movie based on Hideyuki Kikuchi's novels; it was supposed to be a short one, but his bosses loved it so much that they told him to make it feature lenght, which he complied to.
Ever since then, and with MANY series and movies under his belt, Kawajiri has been regarded as a pioneer of Darker and Edgier animation in Japan.
Works in which Yoshiaki Kawajiri has been involved:
- Lensman: From 1984.
- Wicked City: From 1987, his first ultra-famous work.
- Demon City Shinjuku - From 1988.
- Goku Midnight Eye - Also from 1988.
- A Wind Named Amnesia: From 1990.
- Ninja Scroll: From 1993, the first work of his's famous in the West. Had a TV series in 2003.
- Cyber City Oedo 808: From 1990.
- X 1999: Both OAV and TV series.
Tropes found in works by Yoshiaki Kawajiri:
- Action Girl <- -> Faux Action Girl: Seriously depends on the series
- Badass Normal: Many of his male leads.
- Bloodier and Gorier - Darker and Edgier - Hotter and Sexier: He pioneered in all of them!
- Body Horror
- Designated Victim: Some of his female leads
- Fan Disservice and Fan Service
- Tall, Dark and Bishoujo: His leading ladies
- Tall, Dark and Snarky: His leading males