Yasumi Matsuno is a game designer who started out at a small company named Quest, then got bought out by Squaresoft, then left to join Level 5. He has a long working history with Hitoshi Sakimoto for the music and Akihiko Yoshida for the artwork, and is friends with translator Alexander O Smith. He is basically responsible for the Ivalice Alliance as well.
He has directed the following:
- Ogre Battle
- Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together & Wheel of Fortune
- Final Fantasy Tactics
- Ogre Battle 64
- Vagrant Story
- Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
- Final Fantasy XII
- Guild 01: Crimson Shroud
He has also been involved with:
- Conquest of the Crystal Palace: Planning - his influence can be seen in the news reports and the sheer number of different items
- MadWorld: Story
Tropes that frequently appear in his works:
- Ancient Conspiracy
- Black and Gray Morality/Grey and Grey Morality
- Bonus Boss / Bonus Dungeon: Extremely big ones that can take a while!
- Character Alignment / Karma Meter
- Corrupt Church / God Is Evil
- Encyclopedia Exposita: To the point where the first trailer for Crimson Shroud (last fourth of the video) is simply a look at RPG books with Surprisingly Good English
- Face Heel Turn / Chronic Backstabbing Disorder
- Framing Device
- Gambit Pileup
- Job System
- Light Is Not Good
- Loads and Loads of Characters
- They Wasted a Perfectly Good Character: Unfortunately, with so many players in the story there are always at least a few characters who might not be felt to have lived up to their potential. OTOH, it adds realism.
- Loveable Rogue
- Medieval European Fantasy
- What Do You Mean It's Not Political? / Fantastic Nuke: He used to be a political science student, and also studied Eastern European history, thus influencing many of his storylines.