|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
A Darker and Edgier reimagining (or perhaps Deconstruction) of the Team Fortress 2 universe by Cat Bountry, in which the old Administrator is replaced by an insane AI and things just get worse from there in the style of I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream by Harlan Ellison (hence the story title).
Read it here.
MASSIVE spoilers ahead. Beware.
With Apologies To Harlan Ellison provides examples of:
- Actor Allusion: The Administrator is now an insane AI that tortures her prisoners For the Evulz.
- AI Is a Crapshoot
- And I Must Scream: Inverted, despite being a tribute to the trope namer. The last thing Engineer does is open his mouth and scream.
- Body Horror: In so many horrible ways. Especially Pyrobeast and TwistySpy.
- Gender Bender: Pyro. Poor Pyro.
- Hello, Nurse!: Inverted. Pyro is transformed into a horribly exaggerated caricature of a woman, causing reactions of disgust rather than attraction from most of the team.
- Heroic BSOD: Well, everybody, but the Sniper in particular has more or less given up on doing anything except lay there.
- Kill Them All the ending.
- Mercy Kill: Inverted. Despite Engineer's apparent intentions, the way he kills his team-mates is less than merciful. Not to mention how it was all in vain anyway.
- Painful Transformation: Spy. And HOW. Pyro's later transformation is also implied to be quite painful.
- Twist Ending: The Administrator never fired those nukes.