|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
The chapters alternate narrators between two people named Will Grayson. The first Will Grayson (narration by John Green) is introverted, straight, and tries to avoid unhappiness and disappointment by abiding by two rules: "don't care too much, and shut up" -- in contrast to his lifelong best friend Tiny Cooper, who is extroverted, and both "really really gay" and "really really large". The second Will Grayson (narration by David Levithan) is a loner, cynical and clinically depressed, who is in love with his AIM buddy Isaac and puts up with his sort-of friend Maura.
The two Will Graysons meet up about a third of the way through the novel, when the second Will Grayson goes to meet Isaac in person for the first time. Then the rest of the novel happens. Sorry, but any more details after that are too spoileriffic.
Tropes involved in this work include:
- All Lowercase Letters: will #2's chapters are written like this.
- Better as Friends: Tiny and Will #2.
- Bread, Eggs, Milk, Squick
"anyway, i really need this job, which means i can't do things like yell or pin my stupid name tag upside down or wear jeans that have rips in them or sacrifice puppies in the toy aisle." [sic]
- Camp Gay: Tiny Cooper to a T; it's even revealed near the end that he discovered his homosexuality at musical theater camp.
- Cast Full of Gay: Will #2, Tiny, Gary, Gideon, and a ton of other minor characters.
- Coming Out Story: Mildly seen with Will Grayson #2.
- Concert Climax: Tiny's musical.
- Deadpan Snarker: Will #2.
- Emo Teen: Will #2, slightly.
- Fat Best Friend: Tiny Cooper.
- First-Person Smartass: Both of the narrators, but mostly Will #2.
- GIRL: Inverted with Isaac, who is actually Maura.
- Heterosexual Life Partners: Well, Tiny's actually gay, but he and Will #1 are this trope.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Technically it's Huge Guy Tiny Guy, for many of Tiny Cooper's relationships.
- Incompatible Orientation: Unfortunately for Maura.
- Insult to Rocks: Will #2's reason for why he wouldn't call Maura an asshole.
- Love Before First Sight: Will and Isaac.
- Manic Pixie Dream Girl: Tiny Cooper is a Manic Pixie Dream Guy for Will #2
- Moral Event Horizon: From Will #2's point of view, Maura being Isaac. YMMV on whether her feelings for him justified the ruse or not.
- Ironic Nickname: Tiny Cooper, the world's gayest person who is really, really large.
- Name's the Same: That's why there are two in the title.
- One of the Boys: Possibly Gay Jane.
- One Steve Limit: Averted hard. Especially at the end.
- Serial Romeo: Tiny. In fact Will #1 tells him basically that he is in love with being in love.
- Straight Gay: Will Grayson #2. Also, Gary.
- Those Two Guys: Derek and Simon.
- When She Smiles
Will Grayson #1: [Jane's] whole face changes when she smiles--this eyebrow-lifting, perfect-teeth-showing, eye-crinkling smile I've either never seen or never noticed.