Wiki Targeted (Entertainment)
Do you like this video?
|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
- Acceptable Targets: There are a lot of people on the Internet who think that acting as though Wikipedia is always wrong is the cool thing to do.
- Archive Binge: Occurs as per the page quote, and referenced by Xkcd.
- Archive Panic: Its goal is to be an encyclopedia. Encyclopedias are often upwards of twenty volumes. Most encyclopedias don't have over three million articles, many of them very, very, very long. Current estimates put the English Wikipedia at a bit over 1500 volumes. Even better, the rate of growth is such that no human, no matter how fast a reader, could start now and read all of it.
- Broken Base: Inclusionists vs Deletionists.
- Browser Narcotic: Losing time and opening way too many tabs is awfully common.
- Crowning Moment of Awesome: On January 18th, 2012, the English Wikipedia locked itself down to protest the proposed PIPA and SOPA acts in American Congress. The result... well, this is how Wikipedia put it.
- Crowning Moment of Funny: The fact that Wikipedia, almost famous for being so humorless and stuffy, has a Theme Song. And a parody one at that! We kid you not.
- Magnificent Bastard: User: Jupiter Optimus Maximus.
- Memetic Mutation:
- Nightmare Fuel: The formal, scholarly tone can lead to this on some of the more creepy articles. It's like the SCP Foundation, but much worse for being real.
- "Stop Having Fun!" Guys:
- A great number of editors have No Sense of Humor and will remove even the subtlest, driest joke just because.
- The "deletionist" contingent, mentioned elsewhere.
- This is the joke. Do not add a citation. To do so would be thunderingly literal-minded.