|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
One of the many YouTube review series to gain its own identity and fanbase, the Wiivewer sets himself apart by not only reviewing only games on the Wii (which still includes the Virtual Console and Wii Ware), but also reviewing a lot of the party games on the system "as most reviewers won't do a fair review of those titles". He only occasionally does the major games.
He occasionally brings his two sons in some of the reviews, nicknamed "The Little Wiiviewer" and "The Littlest Wiiviewer".
He also has a much lighter style than the more well known Caustic Critic video reviewers (which he averts).
Provides Examples Of:
- Accentuate the Negative: He has admitted in his The Lost Vikings review that he likes to mock and nitpick games, but edits out the bits that are too harsh.
- And Now for Something Completely Different: From his 200th review to his 205th, he reviewed his favorite games on the Play Choice 10
- Appeal to Obscurity: When Wiiviewr notes that Alex Kidd is a playable character in Sonic and Sega All-Star Racing.
Wiiviewr: When you see Alex Kidd there, you know they're scraping the bottom of the barrel.
Little Wiiviewr: Who's Alex Kidd?
- Author Appeal: Admits he reviews so many games based on Game Shows because he's a fan of the actual shows (even though the games based on them are hit or miss).
- He also likes RPG games and states that he's played every Lunar Game on every console.
- Brick Joke: In the "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" review, he makes a joke about Santa pooping out his presents. He finishes by mentioning that "Thomas's Wii will take a little longer". At the very end, when his logo is playing, he makes a pooping sound and tells Thomas he has his Wii.
- Cluster Bleep Bomb
- Contrived Coincidence: This was well noted in his favorite parts review, but the fourth favorite moment was from Lit (the Rotating Light Scene). Many comments noted that Lit was his fourth favorite game that he reviewed in 2009 (and still holds the record as the only Wiiware game on his list)
- Deleted Scene: A number of scenes can be seen on the videos on his alternate channel, with some Bloopers as well.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: In the Netflix review, the Wiiviewr admits to having a secret that he hasn't told his friends or family, checks to see if the boys are asleep, then grabs a box of tissues from the bathroom.
- Don't Look At Me: When he reviewed the Netflix service, he said this when his sons caught him watching his Guilty Pleasure show Charles in Charge.
- Easy Levels Hard Bosses: Made an analogy of the boss difficulty in Arc Rise Fantasia with a comment about how the bosses will molest you, done with loads of bleeps.
- Everything's Better with Monkeys: When he asks his viewers to submit categories for comparing games in his "Versus" videos, suggestions about how they show monkeys keep coming up.
- Evil Twin: Considered for a story arc, but eventually dropped.
- Four Point Scale: Averted. He instead just rates games as "Buy", "Rent", or "Skip".
- Fridge Logic: Loves to poke fun at off stuff in the games during the reviews.
- Guilty Pleasure: In-universe, he admits that Fanfic is his guilty pleasure. He then uses it as a lead-in to discuss the concept of "fluff", which is what he equates the game (a Christmas game) in question to: A cute bit of nothing that makes you feel good inside.
- He Panned It, Now He Sucks: Actually acknowledged in his videos. His reviews of Kirby's Adventure and StarTropics caused him to make response videos to address the backlash.
- Similarly the backlash from making fun of The Lost Vikings was so great that he had to post a response video the day after the review went out.
- Insult to Rocks: He says in his SP Ray vs. Truth or Lies battle video that comparing the former game's graphics to those of the Nintendo 64 would be an insult to the N64.
- The Internet Is for Porn: A variation in that when he asks his viewers to submit categories for comparing games in his "Versus" videos, suggestions like "Nudity" and "Sex Appeal" keep coming up.
- Just One More Level: Stated playing Harvest Moon on the Virtual Console was this.
- Larynx Dissonance: When he pretends to be Princess Peach.
- Little Mister Snarker: The Lil Wiiviewer and the Littlest Wiiviewer both have their moments. Especially evident in the "Pirate's Plundaaarr" review, where most of their dialogue consists of them telling him that, really, no one is going to want to watch him do a review entirely in pirate speak.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: His kids call him Dad, and he's mostly known as Wiiviewr; however, K Wing says his real name (Eric) during their dual Lost Vikings review.
- The Rival: Princess Peach. She tends to get really pissed when he doesn't put her as his favorite for something. (the most famous one was the 13 favorite scenes where she lost to a monkey)
Rival? Rival to what!? There's nothing to compete here. That's it. This trope made my list!
- Rule of Seven: His shortly-lived 'Seven Problems with...' was part of this.
- Running Gag: Purposely mispronouncing Japanese titles and ending videos with the game character dying. Also, he always calls Yoshi a girl.
- He even manages to die in an accessory review
- Sound Effect Bleep: This is used a couple of times to humorous effects. One was used in Klonoa whenever Little Wiiviewr talked (but in reality, he was trying to spoil parts of Klonoa) and Wiiviewr explains that he didn't want the audience to be spoiled about it.
- Special Guest: A cameo from his niece appeared in the Barbie Groom and Glam Pups Review game.
- Take That: From his 'Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing' review, this happens.
Wiiviewr: Lil Wiiviewr, when was the last successful Mario game?
Lil Wiiviewr: Let me see....there's probably one coming out, and then there's Super Mario Bros. Wii...(Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Super Mario Bros. Wii appear)
Wiiviewr: Okay, when was the last successful Sonic game?
Lil Wiiviewr: Uh....(the screen is black and shows '....')
- (then he forgives the Sonic fans, and he did give the game a 'buy')
- Top Ten List: At the end of each year, he does a list of the top ten best, and a list of the top ten worst, games he reviewed that year.
- And then did a list of his favorite moments from his reviews. It's cranked up to 13 though.
- Touche: He thought it was silly to compare Super Mario Bros and The Legend of Zelda, as they are different genres. Then his sons pointed out he compared a racing game with a platformer, and he says this.
- Throw It In: During the scene with Princess Peach getting her 'kidnap emergency case' he sings an improvised version of the Oscar Meyer song and decides to put it in.
- Training Montage: Complete with some montage appropriate 80s song.
- What Could Have Been: It's stated in the annotations of his Lit review that it originally was supposed to be a 'Seven Problems with...' review.