The Loop (TV)
Do you like this video?
|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
Basic Trope: A character, usually female, has a stepmother who is cruel to her.
- Straight: Alice's new stepmother, Nastina, is mean to her and treats her like an unpaid servant.
- Exaggerated: Nastina beats Alice nearly to death every morning, then makes her live in the stables and wear leftover napkins for clothing.
- Justified: Her actions are for the ultimate good of the stepchildren.
- Her husband favors her stepdaughter blindly, and the stepmother can't take it out on him.
- Times are hard, money is short, and Nastina wants her own children to survive and prosper, which means nothing for Alice.
- Inverted: Nastina is kinder to Alice than her original mother had been.
- Alternatively, Alice is needlessly, pointlessly cruel to Nastina, who's done nothing to provoke her.
- Or Nastina is kinder to Alice than to her own children.
- Subverted: Alice describes her stepmother thus, but she's also an Unreliable Narrator.
- Double Subverted: ....Nastina is actually much worse than described.
- Parodied: Like Exaggerated, but Played for Laughs.
- Deconstructed: The stepmother's continued mistreatment of Alice alienates Alice's father, who divorces her.
- Reconstructed: But because he was himself abused, he marries another woman who is equally bad.
- Zig Zagged: Nastina's treatment of Alice varies from reasonable to hostile.
- Averted: Nastina is generally supportive of Alice.
- Enforced: "You can't write a fairy tale where the stepmother is kind and generous! Why would Alice ever leave home?"
- Lampshaded: Nastina's real name is Wilma Smithe, or W.S. for short.
- Invoked: Alice's father wants her to leave home, so he marries a cruel woman.
- Defied: Nastina is careful to treat her stepdaughter fairly so that she doesn't become one of these.
- Discussed: "And that is my stepmother." "Evil?" "But of course."
- Conversed: "You notice there are never any good stepmothers in these stories?"
Back to Wicked Stepmother
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.