|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Demonic creatures coming from a parallel dimension are constantly trying to get into the human world. It's actually a phenomenon dating back many decades, hence why a special undercover police/military group has been created to deal with it: the Black Corps. Taki Renzaburou is a Japanese member of this task force, as well as one of the most badass.
Very recently, the leaders of both worlds have been working on getting a peace treaty signed. Since it needs to be ratified in our world, Renzaburou is chosen to keep an eye on the negotiations, and so is Makie, a beautiful Action Girl coming from the demon world. However, not everyone is keen on having demons and humans living in peace. . .
Wicked City (妖獣都市 Yōjū Toshi?) is an attack on the senses. It started as a series of horror novels written by Hideyuki Kikuchi. The first of said novels was adapted into an anime movie by Yoshiaki Kawajiri (Ninja Scroll, Cyber City Oedo 808) in The Eighties, and later into a live-action movie. Being the better-known part of the franchise, the tropes here will be taken mostly from the anime, so please add those from the movie and novels!
The Wicked City anime movie has examples of...
- Animation Bump: Especially during action scenes, although the entire film is consistently well-animated.
- Badass Normal: Renzaburou has no supernatural powers, but gets by due to his quick wits and physical skills.
- Battle Couple: Makie and Renzaburou become one of these by the end. Just as planned by Giuseppe.
- Blown Across the Room: Subverted with the Hand Cannon. It actually has enough recoil to justify the impact, and Taki has to brace himself against a wall to fire it.
- Bittersweet Ending: The peace treaty is signed, everything goes well in the end. However, Makie must return to the Demon World, and it's almost a sure thing that she and Renzaburou will not see each other again, even when she's pregnant with their half-human/half-demon child. He is seen thinking rather sullenly in the end, but decides to keep on living as well as he can.
- Dirty Old Man: Giuseppe. To the point that the demons use a beautiful demonic High Class Call Girl to try killing him. They almost succeed... with a catch.
- Eldritch Abomination / Humanoid Abomination: Pretty much all the demons have this vibe; even those who stay human in appearance are very clearly not.
- Fan Disservice: Renzaburou's Tall, Dark and Bishoujo one-night stand? She turns out to be a spider woman who tries to kill him by eating him with her mouth that was once her vagina right after they go at it. The High Class Call Girl that Giuseppe fondles in a soapland? Another demon woman, who almost kills him by absorbing him into her through her breasts. The times we get to see Renzaburou's beautiful and badass partner Makie naked? First fingerbanged by a guy who's holding her down against her will. Then a giant worm demon orally rapes her after exploding her clothes off. Then some gang rape. Then the gang rape again. And it goes on and on...
- Femme Fatale: Makie
- "Glad to Be Alive" Sex: Makie and Renzaburou, after he rescues her from the other demons. And then they're both ambushed by the Spider Woman.
- Good People Have Good Sex: Doubles as this, as their sexual encounter is very sweet and tender.
- Half Human Hybrids: Makie and Renzaburou are the parents of the first one, according to Giuseppe. Said child will be known as the living proof that humans and demons can co-exist in peace.
- Honey Trap: Spider Woman and the High Class Call Girl.
- Lovecraftian Superpower: Most demonic powers are like this. With good reason.
- Names to Know In Anime: Yusaku Yara (Renzaburou), Toshiko Fujita (Makie), Ichiro Nagai (Giuseppe)
- No Name Given: The Spider Woman and the High Class Call Girl.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Giuseppe. Holy SHIT, Giuseppe.
- Pregnant Badass: As soon as she and Renzaburou have sex and she gets pregnant, Makie's powers go past the ceiling. So much that she is the one who delivers the fatal blow to the Big Bad, while elegantly and badassedly wrapped in a Modesty Bedsheet.
- Rape as Drama: Most of what happens to Makie throughout the movie.
- The Right of a Superior Species: Makie's ex-lover Jin tries to make her admit this by saying, "Human are lower-class creatures than us. They're only fit for slavery. That's their heritage."
- Salaryman: Renzaburou's cover as an electronic salesman.
- Screw the Rules, I'm Doing What's Right: Renzaburou is forced to leave Makie behind, but then he leaves to rescue her from her captors/rapists despite knowing he'll be thrown out of the Black Corps.
- Stalker with a Test Tube: Renzaburou and Makie were intentionally paired up in hopes of conceiving a half-human/half-Black World child. as part of the proposed peace treaty. Giuseppe was actually put in place to facilitate this.
- Tall, Dark and Bishoujo: Makie, who's so beautiful that she uses her good looks to pose as a world-class model.
- Vagina Dentata: The Spider Woman. Eeeeeeew.
- Woman in White: Makie wears a nice white gown at some point.
- Wolverine Claws: The aforementioned Makie's Weapon of Choice.