|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
What Would You Do? was a children's game show hosted by Marc Summers that aired on Nickelodeon. The premise was similar to Candid Camera, as Marc would tape people in unusual situations and ask the audience, "What would you do?" before the outcome was shown. Other aspects of the show involved members of the Studio Audience and Marc getting messy from some sort of contraptions, most of which involved pies.
Not to be confused with the ABC show ~What Would You Do?~
Game Show Tropes in use:
- Carried by the Host: Do you think of this show and not think Marc Summers?
- Covered in Gunge: Self-explanatory.
- Losing Horns: Type B, heard on a couple of occasions when someone failed to complete a challenge of some sort.
- Lovely Assistant: Robin in the first season, children and later a monkey in the second.
- Zonk: Some doors in the Wall O' Stuff contained cards that would send them to a pie contraption.
This show provides examples of:
- Audience Participation
- Butt Monkey: Marc
- Candid Camera Prank: Some of the things they did out of the studio with people would loosely fall under this category.
- Catch Phrase: What Would You Do?.... not used as often as one would think
- The Chew Toy: Any audience member who is chosen, yet doesn't want to go along with the game.
- Cringe Comedy: Major premise, and especially notable when the producers messed with Marc (who has OCD).
- Crossover: With Double Dare 1986, Legends of the Hidden Temple and Nick Arcade called "Nickelodeon All-Star Challenge" that aired during The Big Help in 1994.
- Eat That: Some of the dares during the What Would You Do? Medley including eating bizarre food combinations such as a Twinkie with gravy, a hamburger with honey, ice cream with ketchup, "Stan's Cola", etc.
- Every Episode Ending: The "What Would You Do? Medley" in the first season, and the "Wall O' Stuff" in the second.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Marc would ask contestants What Would You Do?
- Fan Service: A woman once went to the pie pod in a sports bra.
- Foregone Conclusion: Two contestants, one game, someone's going to be covered in whipped cream very soon.
- Irony as He Is Cast/Terrified of Germs: Marc, of course, which is interesting, considering the other Nick game show he hosted.
- Leave the Camera Running: The show would end with Marc signing off, yet things still went on during the credits, including and especially someone being placed in a pie device.
- Mascot: The latter part of the second season featured a trained monkey assisting Marc instead of Robin or a kid assistant.
- Oh Crap: The look on some people's face when they get chosen out of the audience.
- Once an Episode: Someone goes to the Pie Pod.
- Pie in the Face: Turned Up to Eleven. Half the show was coming up with new ways to pie people.
- Point and Laugh Show
- Recycled Soundtrack: The show borrowed most of its musical cues from a show already airing on Nick at the time, Wild and Crazy Kids. Both were produced by Woody Fraser and featured music by Alan Ett.
- Special Guest: David Cassidy, The Amazing Kreskin
- Title Drop: In every episode. It makes sense given the shows premise.
- Title Theme Tune: The entire theme song consisted of the words What Would You Do?
- X Meets Y: Candid Camera meets Beat the Clock.