|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Weimar World started its life on the Alternate History Forums as a thread titled AH Challenge: The Weimar Republic Survives TL.
The timeline starts diverging when Wolfgang Kapp decides to hold a rousing speech at the Reichstag instead of trying the coup the Weimar Germany.
Without this inherent weakness, the Weimar Republic struggles on. Eventually, Paul von Lettow-Vorbeck takes power in Germany while Hitler starts a civil war in Austria (which is promptly annexed and pacified by Germany). Without a powerful belligerent country in Central Europa, Stalin's Soviet Union focusses on Asia, taking on Japan.
Continuing through the decades, this alternate timeline sees the gradual unification of Europe, the continuing existance of the League of Nations, and the violent (and nuclear) breakup of the Soviet Union. The timeline ends in the 2019s in a somewhat brighter world.
- Adolf Hitler: Dies unmourned during the Austrian Civil War.
- All Germans Are Nazis: Averted.
- Alternate History: It is implicit.
- A World Half Full: Despite all setbacks (even including a civil war where nukes are flying around), it's much more hopeful than even our timeline.
- Balkanize Me: Russia after the Soviet civil war, China.
- Distaff Counterpart: A few. There's the "Berlin Invasion" in the US and UK during the 60s, where the German group "Sealion" sees massive popularity.
- For Want of a Nail: Wolfgang Kapp makes a speech to parliament instead of a coup while a nameless informant leaks that Adolf Hitler is a Reichswehr spy in the DAP.
- French Jerk: France proved to be one so much that its former colonies kicked it out of the French Union!
- Oh Crap: Europe's reaction when Italy, Hungary and Poland invade Czechoslovakia and threaten to partition among themselves.
- Putting on the Reich: Subverted, as the official name of the Weimar Republic has always been Das Deutsche Reich.
- Sliding Scale of Idealism Versus Cynicism: Rather idealistic, all things considered.
- Slap-On-The-Wrist Nuke: Nuclear weaponry is used much later than in OTL, but the advances in nuclear technology are far greater, and the fallout is almost nil.
- Those Wacky Nazis: Decided to start a civil war in Austria which decimated their ranks. Ultimately, the German Republic cleaned up their mess by annexing Austria (to everybody's relief).
- United Europe: The (Northern) European Alliance has been going strong since 1938 and, 80 years later, has evolved into a true federation.
- Weimar Republic: It lasts beyond the modern day.
- World War II: Averted. There are many localised conflicts, however.
- ↑ divide up the territory