|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
- The Angry Video Game Nerd
- Anti Cliche and Mary Sue Elimination Society
- Behind the Veil
- Billy MC
- Clear Skies
- Confused Matthew
- The Death Series
- Dive Quest
- Doctor Horribles Sing Along Blog
- Echo Chamber
- Electrical Beast
- Epic Rap Battles of History
- Everyman HYBRID
- Extra Credits
- The Fear Mythos
- Friendship Is Dragons
- A Game of Gods
- The Gamers Alliance
- Giant Bomb
- Homestar Runner
- I'm a Marvel And Im ADC
- Ink City
- Lord Kat
- The Massive Multi Fandom RPG
- No Mans Land Tales From the Weird Wars
- Marble Hornets
- Mortal Wills Mortal Hearts
- Not Always Right
- The Official Unofficial Ouendan EBA Formspring RP
- Platypus Comix
- Red vs. Blue
- Ruby Quest
- SCP Foundation
- Sir Ron Lionheart
- Stuart Ashen
- That Guy With the Glasses
- Atop the Fourth Wall
- Awesome Video Games
- Bad Movie Beatdown
- Bennett the Sage
- Brows Held High
- The Cinema Snob
- Bum Reviews
- Dark Maze Studios
- Dragon Ball Abridged
- Familiar Faces
- Iron Liz
- Marz Gurl
- Internet Personality Vangelus
- Jesu Otaku
- The Nostalgia Chick
- The Nostalgia Critic
- Obscurus Lupa
- Paw Dugan
- Suburban Knights
- The Spoony Experiment
- TGWTG Year One Brawl
- That Dude in The Suede
- Todd in The Shadows
- What the Fuck Is Wrong With You
- You Can Play This
- VG Flash
- Vlog Brothers
- Youtube Poop
- Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series
- Zero Punctuation
- The ending of Erika's Old Big Sister, the sequel to Erikas New Perfume, has the title character embrace her originally older, then younger, Then older again, then younger again sister, Marie, after all she has done to her and endured herself, in a form of sisterly love that says that all their hardships are over and they are much better off for it.
Erika blinked at her sister as she streaked off, before allowing herself a smile. Still a brat, but she'd kind of accepted her role as a brat. Relished it, almost. And now she seemed more just mischievous then malicious. She learned not to be mad at others for what they had and appreciate what was just in front of her.
Even though she'd lost thirteen years of age and become much smaller, considered Erika, her sister had just taken a big step in growing up.
And maybe she had too.
- The last episode of Fobbies Are Borange, a portion of which could be either an extreme Tear Jerker or an excellent example of this.
Paula: *excited through sobbing* I did it!! I killed Giygas!!!
Paula's Dad: That's my little g*static*rl! I lo*static*ve you, Paul*static*!
Paula: *wailing while static increases frequency*
- There She Is!, Final step. The entire thing, but especially Doki and Nabi's reunion at the airport. Manages to take Heartwarming Beyond the Impossible.
- Ruby Quest, as seen above. Tom had barely been freed from his prison, and instantly they took their newfound opportunity for physical contact and comfort.
Anonymous: Two lost souls, seeking shelter from a world which threatens to crumble around them in a storm of misery and violence, find comfort in each other. For one fleeting moment, nothing else matters.
- Lonelygirl15 has a number of instances of this. For example, My Parents... Let Us Go Hiking!!!, Christmas Surprise, and Sister to Sister.
- Inquisitive Joe get's one which also doubles as a Crowning Moment of Awesome for sticking up and apologizing to a youtube user who insulted him after she was trolled off youtube by his own fan's!
- Where the Hell is Matt?
- From The Salvation War, a leader of the burgeoning resistance of dead souls within Hell learns that the person who's been keeping the portals open for them to get supplies is a transexual. At first he's disgusted, but quickly realizes how much she's done for him while suffering extraordinary pain every time she opens a portal. Eventually he completely overcomes the prejudice he was raised with to regard her as a valuable member of the team.
- More recently, the angel of death Uriel attempted to lay waste to Eucalyptus Hills, California -- even through the defenses (read: tinfoil covering houses) his power to kill managed to penetrate, but by force of will and love for one another the people inside held out long enough for the U.S. Navy to come through. It's especially poignant due this being shown through the eyes of a human resident and her dog:
Her dog watched her carefully, he could sense there was danger even if he couldn't define it. But, his human was doing something about it and that was good. If the worst came to the worst, Rex knew he could bite with a pressure of more than 350 pounds per square inch and if the danger wanted to get to his human, it would have to get past him first.
- In a weird way, this troper finds Abigor's surrender heartwarming -- at least, because his last surviving veterans, his mates, and his kidlings don't have to die for the (arguably) inevitable and unavoidable mistakes he made in his invasion of Earth.
- There's also the scene where a daemon mother, assuming that only harm can come from the humans from Earth invading Hell, hides her kidlings and begs US forces to kill her but spare her children, but they instead are perfectly happy to spare the whole family and even feed her children for good measure.
- After Robert E. Lee overhears his instructor in 21st-century warfare evaluating him as dangerously incompetent for a combat command, he takes full responsibility for his failure to adapt and throws himself at the mercy of their commanding general David Petraeus, even praising his lower-ranked tutor -- a female African-American captain, no less -- as a fine officer and tutor with great skill and patience. Petraeus in turn offers him a desk job... but instead of "exile," it's administering a convalescent home for former American and Confederate soldiers who're either traumatized or feeling alone and unwanted in the 21st century:
"To care for our veterans, soldiers from every era in our history." Lee was entranced by the idea. "Sir, I do not just wish it, I desire it with all my heart."
"Then the position is yours. You may start tomorrow."
- Even Michael gets one when he's about to finally challenge Yahweh openly, accepting that he's definitely going to die if his plan fails before advising his allies of the best way to avoid Yahweh's reprisals if that happens. Then it gets better: those same allies ignore his advice and join the battle with him, just when Michael was about to give up.
- Improv Everywhere: Best Game Ever.
- Emi, The Ice Monster
- Even 4chan has one. If you request Rule 34 of Yotsuba&!... the results ain't pretty. That's right, 4chan defending the innocence of a character. This is Anonymous we're talking about. Yotsuba is just so pure that no one dares to corrupt her... that's just beautiful in a rather disturbing-if-you-think-about-it-too-hard way...
- Disturbing? The Anonymous of 4chan are described pretty universally as humanity at their most petty and obscene. They have a morality pet. Not one member, not a few, pretty much all of them share a Morality Pet. Humans aren't perfect, but we're not complete bastards.
- The Birthday of William J. Lashua. Also triples as a Crowning Moment of Awesome and a Tear Jerker (in a good way).
- To give more context, an anon saw a poster by the 89-year old World War II veteran Willian J. Lashua, inviting people to his 90th birthday. /b/ had a moment of collective sympathy and took it up on itself to make sure the old man a memorable birthday by sending him birthday cards. The end result was hundreds of birthday greeting cards, few parcels of gifts and about a dozen anons who actually showed up to the event. And from what we can tell, not a single case of trolling/spoiling occured. Chaotic Good in its finest form.
- "Just paid your rent for you, /b/ro. Have a nice life."
- The Onion article Stoner Uncle All The Kids' Favorite is both hilarious and very sweet in it's own way. So many Onion articles are aptly cynical takes on human nature but this is almost pure sweetness, as even his siblings grudgingly admit that while they disapprove of him that he is great with kids. And this line always makes me go "awwwwwwww!"
Added Emmy: "Uncle Gonzo has lots of strawberry ice cream, and he never mows his lawn, so we can play Tarzan, and he sings the song about Jeremiah The Bullfrog with me. All his couches and chairs are all different colors. I love Uncle Gonz!"
- This Not-So-Stupid Statement Dance Mix. While the Carl Sagan quotes by themselves are pretty inspiring, setting them to soaring music transforms the whole thing into weapons-grade The Whole Damn Universe Is Just Awesome.
- At the end of the Uncyclopedia article for "Love", after making fun at it (as is expected), showing it a destructive and deadly force, and even almost calling it a disease, the article ends with a strangely touching summary:
"Love is an extremely complicated topic, and perspectives on it can vary from the cynical to the optimistic. However, there is no denying that love for ones country keeps that country strong; Love for one's family keeps that family together; Love with one's partner keeps a relationship strong.
Whenever one gets gloomy with the state of the world, one can think about the arrivals gate at an Airport. General opinion's starting to make out that we live in a world of hatred and greed, but one may not see that. It seems that love is everywhere. Often, it's not particularly dignified or newsworthy, but it's always there - fathers and sons, mothers and daughters, husbands and wives, boyfriends, girlfriends, old friends. When the planes hit the Twin Towers, none of the phone calls from the people on board were messages of hate or revenge - they were all messages of love.
If one looks for it... love, actually, is all around."
- What makes it even better for this troper is that this is an almost direct quote of the opening monologue of Love Actually.
- Whoever you are that pointed that out. You made me very, very happy. Thank You
- What makes it even better for this troper is that this is an almost direct quote of the opening monologue of Love Actually.
- The endings to the Colour My Series flash games. The quotes at the end, combined with the music and the uniting of the protagonist and his love, really make the experience meaningful.
- adamwestslapdog, abridger of Ocarina of Time and Majoras Mask, sells his Ocarina of Time cartridge and his Legend of Zelda Animated Series DVD box set on ebay and donates all the profits to charity. Sam the Greek, winner of the DVDs, watches them, hears about the devastating earthquake in Haiti, and proceeds to resell the DVDs, donating all the profits to the Red Cross and their efforts in Haiti. This Troper sincerely hopes that the person who wins the DVDs this time will continue the cycle.
- In Alice and Kev, when the poor Sims-girl (The Woobie incarnate) finally gets a much-needed hug.
- This one is a little odd, but bear with me; go to Encyclopedia Drammatica, look up the "You BAWW, you lose" page, and a handful of the links. The odd wierd porn aside (with a much lower concentration, I may add), the entire thing is one big tearjerker. Gives one hope for the human race.
- A few weeks after Dreamwork's released "How to Train Your Dragon" an anonymous user on Livejournal admitted that the movie made them cry, almost as if they were ashamed of it. After being told by others that they had cried as well, and asking which scenes in particular the user meant, they came back and replied with this:
Hmmm... Strangely enough, it wasn't the father-son scenes everyone's suggested, though I did mist up at those. If I recall correctly, it was the scene where Hiccup is stepping over Toothless's drawing (something about the music), their first honest-to-goodness flight, and the ending... not when you find out what happens to Hiccup, but when he deals with what happened by relying on Toothless (the fact that they match now just killed me)
I guess... if I had to say why, it's because a very good friend of mine is going through a really rough patch right now. I'm trying to be there for her, but God it's hard[...] But we're not friends only during the easy times; she needs me right now, and I need her too.
And I suppose that was what the movie summed up for me; friendship isn't always easy or convenient, but we need other people, and they need us, and that's okay.
- This YTMND. Nerdy, funny, and really quite sweet.
- In response to his explosion of popularity and support after his awesome Oprah audition went viral, Zach Anner had this to say:
...you've really made someone who can't walk at all fly today.
- The ending of this Touhou music video. I...I think there's something in my eye...
- Another Touhou video, this time starring Hina. It'll make you sway!
- Baby James' Sweet Safari at Cake Wrecks.
- Run Elephant Run. Just three minutes of game about love and doing the right thing.
- Whateley Universe examples:
- "Straight from the Squirrel's Mouth": Aquerna saves a family from a mugger on the day before Christmas.
- "No Beast So Fierce": the ending, when She-Beast thinks about what she has done and wants to share it with the woman she hopes is really her mother.
- "Ayla and the Grinch": Ayla gets an unexpected Christmas present from some members of her estranged family.
- From that same story, when Grace forces Ayla to hide from some mutant hunters by making her dress up like a girl and enter a local beauty pageant. Ayla, thinking it's another of Grace's schemes to force "her" to embrace "her" female side, bitches about it and threatens to sell Grace's new car, until this:
Grace: Do you have a better plan? I am NOT going to lose you to the MCO! I don’t care if you have to put on a party dress. I don’t care if I have to give away that beautiful Bentley. I don’t care if I have to stick my hand in a garbage disposal! I am going to do whatever the HELL it takes to protect you!
- When the demon attacks at the pageant and Ayla is trying to fight it off, Christie and Rachael, the fundamentalist and shy girl respectively, help ward it off with their cross and Star of David. At the end of the story, Ayla pulls some strings to get them good college scholarships and free appointments with psychologists who'd believe them. "They both deserved the Miss Teen Santa Monica title a lot more than the stupid, talentless bimbos who got the top three places."
- Survival of the Fittest has numerous examples, but a most recent one includes Sarah Xu, Dutchy Ayers, and Brendan Wallace, who, after both almost giving up hope after realising where they were and what was going to happen to them, Brendan finally finds her and his ex-boyfriend in the same place.
* "SARAH! DUTCHY!" * throws his arms around Sarah after finally finding her* "...you're okay! You're both okay!" Brendan was in agony, his voice cracking, almost unable to cope with not knowing if any of his friends were alive or dead. He still had so many people to find, but he was glad, oh GOD he was glad, that he knew at least some of them were safe.
- And Sarah's reaction:
* All she could do was throw her arms around his neck, somehow find a way to inhale, and tell him how glad she was to see him. "Augh mate, you have n-NO idea how good it is to s-see you!" It was the first time since she'd woken up over an hour ago that she'd been genuinely happy.
- The best (but hardly the only) examples from the Global Guardians PBEM Universe:
- The storyline in which Powered Armor-wearing superheroine Diamond adopts an little girl orphaned in a supervillain attack.
- The storyline in which Stone tracks down the identity of his birth parents, only to find out that he is the son of two supervillains. It culminates in his convincing Battle, his mother, to make a Heel Face Turn.
- The Shield, whose sole power is his complete and total invulnerability, giving his "I have AIDS, and the only thing keeping me alive is my powers" speech, followed by his sacrificing those powers, and thus his life, in order to save the world.
- This one was apparently intended as a creepypasta, but it's really too heartwarming to be one. A couple has a baby, but can't afford to support it, so they make the very difficult decision to drop it into the lake (one presumes orphanages at the time were all hellish). Fast forward about ten years, they're financially stable and have a four-year-old daughter. One day, the little girl really wants to go to the lake, so her parents take her. Then she sees a boat and begs to rent one, so they oblige. When they're out in the middle of the water, she suddenly needs to pee, so with little choice, her father holds her carefully over the edge of the boat so she can relieve herself. Before she does, she turns around to face him and says, "Please don't drop me this time."
- This Youtube Poop, starring Dr. Robotnik. It made this troper realize that, yeah, Youtube Poop videos are, for the most part stupid, vulgar, perverted and amount to little more than toilet humor, but that's sort of the point- toilet humor is a part of our childhood that, while not something worth bragging about, is definitely something worth laughing about. Give yourself a promotion, Robotnik. You deserve it for making us all laugh so hard.
- The above is, oddly enough, a near-precise duplicate of one of the top comments on that video.
- Freelance comic artist Leigh Gallagher proposes to his girlfriend...in comic form.
- Tree Fog has the first season end with this in song form.
- "Perfect Day". To quote one of the comments: "What is amazing about this vid? How much people can not sing but are doing it with a passion."
- During Rhett and Link's Alka-Seltzer Road Trip, they went to New York and made The Food Cart Song, which shows appreciation for a profession often looked down upon.
- In a humorous way, This
- This short film is one of the most uplifting and beautiful stories i've ever seen. It's not just heartwarming- it makes you melt with sheer smiles and warmth.
- The web original story Paperwalls has one, when Travis comforts Cameron after he and his friends learn of her sexual abuse by her father.
- Youtuber Sean Klitzner, upon receiving 10,000 subscribers, dedicates a video to thanking all of them. Literally, all of them. Individually.
- The end of this Pokemon LP towards the end, where it's revealed the whole video was just a way to propose to his girlfriend. Made better in the comments where she accepted.
- After Wikipedia voluntarily disabled access to all of its pages to protest SOPA, this message was posted. Even if they're our rivals, you can't read it without shedding a few Manly Tears.
The Wikipedia blackout is over — and you have spoken.
More than 162 million people saw our message asking if you could imagine a world without free knowledge. You said no. You shut down Congress’s switchboards. You melted their servers. Your voice was loud and strong. Millions of people have spoken in defense of a free and open Internet.
For us, this is not about money. It’s about knowledge. As a community of authors, editors, photographers, and programmers, we invite everyone to share and build upon our work.
Our mission is to empower and engage people to document the sum of all human knowledge, and to make it available to all humanity, in perpetuity. We care passionately about the rights of authors, because we are authors.
SOPA and PIPA are not dead: they are waiting in the shadows. What’s happened in the last 24 hours, though, is extraordinary. The Internet has enabled creativity, knowledge, and innovation to shine, and as Wikipedia went dark, you've directed your energy to protecting it.
We’re turning the lights back on. Help us keep them shining brightly.
- Found this short video online, created by William Joyce: The Fantastic Flying Books of Morris Lessmore, which is absolutely amazing. For anyone who loves books and reading, this is a must-watch. Be forewarned; it crosses over into Tear Jerker territory.
- This Fluttershy fanpage on Facebook went above-and-beyond staying in-character by offering support and compassion towards someone going through depression and talking them out of suicide. Element of kindness, indeed.
- Furry transformation stories usually vary between, squicky, terrifying, or sexy. But this one can only be described as heartwarming.