Video game producers WayForward Technologies (founded in 1990 by actor-turned-programmer Voldi Way, and named for a joke in a novel by Douglas Adams) first established themselves as a reliable maker of product licensed to them by other companies -- they began to make their mark with an adaptation of Sabrina the Teenage Witch, which made the astute decision of treating it as a game first and a licensed game second. They've gone on to avoid The Problem with Licensed Games in much of their subsequent work -- so much so that when Konami decided to contract out to an external developer for Contra 4, they went with WayForward.
Notable licensed works include:
- Justice League Heroes: The Flash, published by Warner Brothers Games for Game Boy Advance in 2006 (notably a prequel to the main JLH game, released for Playstation2, X Box, Nintendo DS and PSP)
- Looney Tunes: Duck Amuck, published by Warner Brothers Games for Nintendo DS in 2007
- Contra 4, published by Konami for Nintendo DS in 2007 (US) and 2008 (Japan)
- A Boy and His Blob, published by Majesco for Nintendo Wii in 2009
- Batman the Brave And The Bold: The Videogame, published by Warner Brothers Games for Nintendo Wii and Nintendo DS in 2010
- Blood Rayne: Betrayal, published by Majesco for XBLA and PSN August 2011
- Aliens: Infestation, co-developed by Way Forward and Gearbox, published by Sega for the Nintendo DS in October 2011.
- Silent Hill: Book of Memories, to be published by Konami for the Playstation Vita.
- Adventure Time: Hey Ice King! Why'd You Steal Our Garbage?, Nintendo DS and Nintendo 3DS game.
- Double Dragon: Neon, PSN/XBLA game.
Notable original works include:
- Shantae, published by Capcom for Game Boy Color in 2002
- Sigma Star Saga, published by Namco for GBA in 2005
- LIT, published by WayForward themselves on Wii Ware in 2008; licensed and published (as School of Darkness) by Square Enix in Japan
- Featuring an interesting Creator Cameo. The few lines given to the protagonist are voiced by Voldi Way himself.
- Mighty Flip Champs, published by WayForward on DSiWare in 2009
- Mighty Flip Champs DX, the upcoming PSN port/remake of said game, available July 12th, 2011.
- Shantae: Risky's Revenge, published by WayForward on DSiWare (potentially forward-compatible with the Nintendo 3DS) in October 2010 (US and Europe release only -- so far)
- Now available in the Nintendo 3DS Download Store (at least in the US)!
- Coming soon to an iDevice near you!
- Mighty Milky Way, the Spiritual Successor to Mighty Flip Champs, published again by WayForward on DSiWare, released on 2011.
- Mighty Switch Force!, Another Spiritual Successor for MFC, published by WayForward for the 3DS eShop, releasing 2011.