|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Wave Race is a series of jet ski racing games by Nintendo, first originating on the Game Boy in 1992. Wave Race 64, released for the Nintendo 64 in 1996 (and later on the Wii Virtual Console in 2007), is the best known and most well-loved of the lot of them. Wave Race: Blue Storm, released as a launch title for the Game Cube in 2001, is the most recent release.
64 was notable in its use of very realistic wave physics, which use up approximately 80 percent of the system's power.
Wave Race 64 contains examples of:
- Announcer Chatter: Boy, he never shuts up.
- Friendly Playful Dolphin: On the practice track Dolphin Park.
- Jack of All Stats: Ryota Hayami.
- Mighty Glacier: Dave Mariner, who is very fast for his size yet has poor handling, grip, and acceleration to go along with it. Best recommended for advanced players.
- Ominous Fog: Drake Lake, though it does clear up eventually.
- Product Placement: Kawasaki sponsors this game, and its ads appear nearly everywhere. Its Virtual Console release has them removed and the banners replaced with Wii and DS ads, though.
- Theme and Variations Soundtrack: In true Kazumi Totaka fashion, nearly every track uses a variation of the theme song, or at least a Recurring Riff. This even extends to other areas like the options menu and the name entry screen.
- Title Scream
Wave Race: Blue Storm contains examples of:
- Chuck Cunningham Syndrome: Miles Jeter from 64.
- Deadpan Snarker: There is a code that unlocks the ability for the announcer to snark at you every chance he gets.