An upcoming game by Ubisoft Montreal, Watch Dogs was announced at E3 2012. The story is set Twenty Minutes Into the Future in a Chicago run by MegaCorps and the "Central Operating System", a massive software that monitors and manages all aspects of city life akin to a computer operating system. You play as Aiden Pierce, a rebellious hacker out to fight the system. The game will also feature a Co-Op Mode: the E3 demo briefly showed a second Player Character (nicknamed Bixxel_44) covering Pierce from the rooftops.
The gameplay shown so far looks like a mix of Deus Ex, Assassin's Creed, and Grand Theft Auto. The demo was run on a PC but the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions have also been announced. There is no confirmed release date yet.
Tropes to be found in the game:
- Alternate History: The backstory begins in the aftermath of the Northeast blackout of 2003.
- Badass: Aiden Pierce.
- Badass Longcoat: Aiden sports one.
- The Cracker: Aiden Pierce, and others exist in the universe and might show up overall.
- Big Brother Is Watching: The topic of intrusive and all-encompassing surveillance will be a big one in the game.
- Everything Is Online: Everything and everyone - Aiden gladly exploits that.
- Grey and Grey Morality: Neither Pierce nor his opponents are afraid to get their hands dirty.
- Hero with Bad Publicity: Aiden is an outright wanted criminal who's trying to kill certain targets, but seems to be trying to do the right thing. Unfortunately, his targets control the ctOS.
- Hollywood Hacking: Hacking is gonna be an important game mechanic, so some liberties are unavoidable.
- Post Cyber Punk
- Real Life Writes the Plot - The plot is Very Loosely Based on a True Story about a Real Life blackout.
- Truth in Television: Disturbingly, much of the game's recurring themes. Internet privacy and security; aggregation of personal information, scattered around the Internet into the all-encompassing "digital shadow"; vulnerability of the essential infrastructure to cyberattacks are topics hotly debated in media and beyond.
- Twenty Minutes Into the Future: Set in 2013, with only slightly futuristic premise.