|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Warlock, a techno-organic alien originally created for New Mutants by Chris Claremont and Bill Sienkiewicz also had a nine issue miniseries of his own in 1999, written by Louise Simonson and illustrated by Pasqual Ferry. The series takes place after Warlock's death and reanimation as Douglock (originally thought to be the combination of previously killed New Mutant Douglas Ramsey and Warlock) and after his departure from Excalibur.
The series follows Warlock, who after learning that he is only Warlock with Doug's memories and part of his being, tries to put an end to the Phalanx infestation he accidentally brought to Earth as well as get a grip of what he has become. While infiltrating a science facility where Phalanx material is experimented on, he meets Hope, young girl with immunity to the techno-organic virus as well as the ability to infect others by touch. Despite knowing that Hope is incredibly dangerous, he can't bring himself to kill her and after they get attacked by guard robots and a group called Psi-cops, Warlock and Hope escape together, along with Hope's infected pet monkey, Chi-Chee.
This starts a journey to keep Hope safe from a former S.H.I.E.L.D. agent named Mainspring who originally kidnapped Hope and experimented on her and teach Hope how to control her abilities and somehow find a way to get rid of the Phalanx before it sends a beacon to Warlock's own race, the Technarchs to come and cleanse the Phalanx infestation and destroy Earth along it.
Warlock (the character) and the mini-series provide examples of:
- Abusive Alien Parents
- Aren't You Going to Ravish Me?: Hope's first reaction to Warlock, thinking he's a Phalanx who only wants to infect and absorb everything living.
- Attack of the 50 Foot Whatever
- Back From the Dead
- Bald of Awesome: Psimon (as well as everyone in psi-cops). Warlock may also apply since in his main form, the shape of his head is bald, though he's capable of creating a form that resembles hair.
- Black Boss Lady: Psiren
- Chick Magnet: Looks like Doug's charm got transferred to him, as he's still in very friendly terms with Shadowcat and Wolfsbane, which gets Hope jealous.
- Filler: You could pretty much ignore the issues with Mole Man and Psycho-Man since very little concerning the actual plot happens in them.
- What Have I Become?: Both Warlock and Hope have their bouts of this.
- I'm Melting: Every time Warlock has used up all of his energy.
- Incredibly Lame Pun
- Living Ship: And a blimp and a taxi and a bed, and...
- Loss of Identity
- Machine Worship: Mainspring sought to transform into as much robot as he could and tried to use the Phalanx to save Earth from the errors of humanity.
- Mecha Mook: Mainspring's Gatekeepers and other robotic servants.
- Psychic Link: Hope has a connection with everyone who she has infected.
- Psychic Powers: The Psi-cops, who's members all are born with some specific psychic ability.
- Shapeshifter Baggage
- That's All Folks
- Viral Transformation
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Psiren's and the psi-cop's goal is to save the world from the techno-organic virus. Unfortunately this means killing Warlock, Hope and Chi-Chee in cold blood.