|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
In short, where a man has intercourse with a woman up against a wall. One of the most common sex positions in movies and TV, probably due to the way that you don't have to disrobe completely, keeping explicit nudity ratings down, while allowing itself to be worked into almost any setting. It is also good for driving home just how passionate the affair is, since this is the de facto position when one or both parties are cheating. In Real Life, this is not as easy as it looks. Holding someone else up like that gets tiring pretty fast, plus most men lose muscle control during orgasm and could risk dropping the poor woman.
A word of warning: Considering what we're talking about here, it's hard to find this trope in family-wholesome works, so we have to make do with what we have.
- Futari Ecchi: The titular couple get to try this position in their bedroom adventures.
- Sexfriend: In the second episode of the OVA, Hayase and Takabe do this in a movie theater's restroom.
- Speaking of Sexfriend, just about any Hentai anime will have this at one point or another. It's harder trying to find those that DON'T have it.
- Sensual Phrase has one. It comes from the Epilogue, as the married Aine and Sakuya have impromptu sex while their kid, Shion, is napping in the nearby room.
- Haou Airen (by Mayu Shinjo of Sensual Phrase fame) also has Hakuron and Kurumi doing this...but it's up against a door, and Fuoron's on the other side.
- Kurono and Sei do this at the end of episode 15 and begining of episode 16 of Gantz.
- Berserk: While not against a wall, Guts and Casca have sex against a tree for the better half of it.
- In One Piece, Nami is molested this way by Absalom, though it's "only" a molestation and not a sexual intercourse.
- Between Yorick and Beth toward the end in Y: The Last Man.
- In Preacher (Comic Book) when Jesse and Tulip reunite and reconcile after escaping his psychotic family (and explaining why he left her in the process). The motel manager has to ask them to calm down their... whatever explanation Jesse gave.
- There exists at least one Fullmetal Alchemist Yaoi doujinshi that feature Ed and Roy doing this, justified by the fact that Ed is depicted as much smaller than Roy in this particular artist's work, meaning he would be pretty easy to lift (It also uses Right Through His Pants with Roy). It's by the artist Daen. This is quite common in Daen's works.
- This sex position is actually pretty popular in both het and Yaoi dj's and hentai mangas.
- Sokka and Azula's sex scene in How I Became Yours. Well, more like "rock bang her" since they're outdoors, but the rock acts as a wall.
- Happens at least twice in the Hooker Verse. First time, The Angry Video Game Nerd fucks The Nostalgia Critic against a dumpster. Second time, the Critic fucks The Nostalgia Chick against a public bathroom wall.
- American Gangster: Richie gets interrupted in one of these by a call from the morgue.
- In The Godfather, Sonny Corlene is in the middle of one of these during his sister's wedding, of all times. With his sister's best friend and bridesmaid. While his wife is with his mother outside. (And probably fathering Vincent Mancini, Andy Garcia's character in part III, in the process.)
- At the beginning of The Shawshank Redemption.
- Used in Thank You for Smoking. In three different rooms during the same visit.
- Occurs in a shower sex scene in The Kentucky Fried Movie. The woman (Uschi Digard) is pressed up against the glass wall of the shower, so her breasts are comically squashed.
- Used in the movie Step Brothers by John C. Reilly and somebody else's wife.
- Played with when they accidently burst through the door into the room where the family is having dinner, and explain it as a massage. Played with again when they burst through the door a second time when the wife is facing towards Reilly, and no one seems to notice. Note: The husband of the wife being wallbanged was having dinner with the family.
- In Elizabeth a lady-in-waiting gets this treatment while wearing a Pimped-Out Dress she "borrowed" from the queen. That happens to be poisoned. Hope the sex was good.
- We Don't Live Here Anymore features not one, but two scenes of Mark Ruffalo banging Naomi Watts upright against a wall - or in the case of the first scene, an oak tree. Ow.
- In the 1989 film Blood and Sand, Juan (Chris Rydell) has sex with Dona Sol (Sharon Stone) against a tree.
- Lord of War: Yuri Orlov, with his wife against the shower door.
- Jerry Maguire has Dorothy Ray, while swooning over Jerry, imagining romantic bliss while proclaiming "whoever snagged him must be one classy babe." The movie cuts to Jerry nailing his screaming fiancee to the wall, visual shorthand for her not being "classy."
- Connie (Diane Lane) and Paul (Olivier Martinez) in Unfaithful.
- Goes horribly wrong in Very Bad Things.
- It goes similarly wrong in Jack Frost 1997, with Narm thrown in the mix.
- Happens in Secretary, though the girl was tied to a tree.
- While it happens in Road House, the relative positioning of Patrick Swaze and Kelly Lynch's bodies means that either nothing is really going on at all, or else Swaze is a very, very lucky man if you know what I mean...
- One of the funniest scenes in Baby Boy has Jody being unable to sleep... because his mom and her new boyfriend are having sex, rather loudly, in the other room. We see it, too - and it starts with a Wall Bang, but evolves into what can only be described as "the African Squat Fuck", across the room.
- In the 2007 film Atonement, Decoy Protagonists Cecelia and Robbie do this after Cecelia confronts Robbie about a sexually explicit letter that he sent accidentally.
- Subverted in Basic Instinct, when Michael Douglas initially pushes Jeanne Tripplehorn against the wall. After some intense groping, he suddenly pulls her over to the couch, drape her over it and takes her from behind.
- Happens in The Joy Luck Club with the mom who later drowned her baby.
- It also happens in Out of Time when the two leads, the Police chief and the wife of an abusive ex-footballer, are having sex against the bathroom door, goes through said door and then against the wall. When it's over, you see he's still wearing pants.
- Happens between Carrie and Brian while in bed with Early listening in on the other side in Kalifornia.
- Gangs of New York: Amsterdam and Jenny end up doing this after a round of Slap Slap Kissing.
- Happens in The Last King of Scotland in a bit of a....well, lengthy scene. You thought you weren't gonna see James Mc Avoy's butt? You thought wrong, mister.
- The (more or less) clothed version happens in a deleted scene from Repo! The Genetic Opera, between Amber Sweet and Graverobber.
- Happens between two men (one of whom is Bradley Cooper) in Wet Hot American Summer.
- Sharon Stone and William Baldwin get a scene like this in Sliver, although it's more up against a column rather than a wall.
- There is an extremely unpleasant looking scene involving a couple fucking against a tree in The Nail Gun Massacre.
- Part of the rough sex scene in The Hitchhiker involves this.
- Done spectacularly in the Dark Shadows movie where Barnabas and Angelique do it against the wall...the floor...the ceiling...
- This is the content of the one and only sex scene in Atonement, as detailed lengthily and lovingly. At least the author mentions how awkward the position would be if the participants weren't the same height.
- The loving detail is actually due to the literate male attempting to keep his stamina up- he notices stuff like their heights and how the light falls and how uncomfortable the position might be for her (in the corner of a library on a desk) in order to keep his mind off of the sex and thus last longer.
- In the Rizzoli and Isles books, a minor character exchanges sex in this way for a place to stay/eat/money. She's mildly disgusted, especially considering the open windows. She idly wonders if the man is showing off, which increases her disgust.
- The Memoirs of Cleopatra by Elizabeth George has Julius Caesar making love to Cleopatra like this and promising that he won't let her touch the ground until it's over. Interestingly for this trope, the sex in that book is never really that graphic, including in this scene.
- Older Than Feudalism nonfiction example: According to the Kama Sutra, "When a man and a woman support themselves on each other's bodies, or on a wall, or pillar, and thus while standing engage in congress, it is called the 'supported congress'."
- According to Frank McCourt's memoir, Angelas Ashes, this was how he was conceived, and he refers to it as a "knee trembler".
- At the start of S.J. Day's Eve of Darkness, the title character is given the Mark of Cain by Abel (yes, the biblical Abel) during such a scene.
- This Dead Like Me clip with Jewel Staite in a record store.
- Also, this Firefly clip with Jewel Staite that ignores the bit about keeping the clothes on.
- Made even more impressive by her visually diagnosing a critical engine failure in the midst of said bang.
- Happens up against the wall of a cricket club while Simon is waiting to bat in Kingdom:
Simon: I'm in! I'm in!
Woman: I noticed!
- Occurs in the 6th season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer between Buffy and Spike. In the alley behind the Doublemeat Palace during Buffy's break. Classy.
- And in their first sex scene; not that the walls are there for long.
- 30 Rock:
Jack: Bianca wanted it 6, 7 times a day. Always standing up.
Liz: Standing up? How would that even work?
Jack: You're joking, right?
Liz: [sheepishly] Yeah...
- While it's not shown, an episode of Scrubs reveals that this is Dr. Cox's favorite sex position. Hilarity Ensues when Jordan offers it to him after he hurt his back earlier in the day. He cried during it.
- David Boreanaz did commentary on an episode of Bones. "We look so hot here - we could take our clothes off and do it against the wall."
- Bear in mind that this was at a bloody crime scene with guts up the walls and man-eating stray dogs everywhere.
- Monica and Chandler of Friends have sex up against their gigantic picture window, with Monica's brother having just moved in right across the street.
- Nathan and Haley in a memorable scene on One Tree Hill. At the wedding reception of Lucas and Peyton, no less.
- Lt Scott and Lt James are doing this in a storeroom before being interrupted by Colonel Young's radio call, in the first episode of Stargate Universe. The scene was cut during some UK broadcasts, leaving the viewer with no explanation of why Matt looks flustered when he reports for duty and far worse, causing Vanessa's later jealousy over Matt and Chloe to seem unfounded and stalkerish.
- Rome - Marc Antony stops his army just to have sex with a random shepherdess this way. (She looks rather bored, as if this sort of thing happened all the time.)
- In an episode of Rush (TV series) Michael and Stella do this.
- Benedict Cumberbatch's character did this in the first episode of To the Ends of the Earth.
- Offscreen, Amy and Rory on Doctor Who may have done this (with the ladder of a bunk-bed) when their daughter Melody/River was conceived, if a couple of joking but matching tweets from writers Steven Moffat and Neil Gaiman should be treated as Word of God.
- In How I Met Your Mother, Ted proposes this to Stella. "It will be like a three-way: you, me and the door." To this, Stella replies "Yeah, but then it's going to be weird between me and the door tomorrow."
- The N'Sync song "Up Against The Wall", from the "Celebrity" album.
- The two servants in Romeo and Juliet make a Hurricane of Puns about this.
- The song "Lovely Ladies" from Les Misérables, about prostitutes advertising their wares, features the line "Bargain prices up against the wall."
- The title character in Max Payne 2 does this to Mona Sax, then later hallucinates about doing it again.
- The Neverwinter Nights module The Bastard of Kosigan has at least three possible occurrences (with Laura in the witches' cave hideout, with Diane using a tree on the way to the bandit camp, and the somewhat...thorough...make-out scene with Alex in the end of the second module). Most other sexual encounters in that series use either beds or tables.
- School Days:
- More than one sex scene with Makoto is like this, like the one he has with Hikari under a bridge.
- In the anime, it's implied that Taisuke violated Kotonoha in this position.
- In Cross Days, Yuuki gets to have sex with Ai Yamagata against a wall of the school library.
- The first rape scene with Manaka in Rapelay. Well, it is a rape simulator, so...
- The culminating scene of Miranda's romance in Mass Effect 2 starts looking like Shepard and Miranda are going to have sex on the console, then they head for the wall, before finally settling on the floor.
- The one and only explicit sex scene in College Roomies from Hell has this between Mike and April. Hilarity Ensues.
- This used to be popular among prostitutes due to the myth that you can't get pregnant in this position. In time periods with longer dresses for women, it was also much quicker to pull skirts up and have it over with.
- Eleanor Roosevelt once referenced this in a joke (or then again she may have been serious): "I once had a rose named after me and I was very flattered. But I was not pleased to read the description in the catalogue: no good in a bed, but fine up against a wall."
- In some places, a quick shorthand for (comically) offering anal is to turn around, lean forward and put your hands on an imaginary wall.
- ↑ It is generally easier for a straight couple to do this for obvious reasons, though there is doubtless no shortage of gay couples of either gender who have done it successfully.