|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Proof that the remaining 10% is worth dying for here.
These are recommendations made by Tropers for Vorkosigan Saga fanfics, all of which have to be signed to stay on the page. Feel free to add a fanfic of your own to the list, but remember to use the template found here.
You can also add to the current recommendations if you want. Refrain from posting Conversation in the Main Page though; that goes in the discussion page.
Authors and Websites
- Recommended by Tropers/Scifantasy
- The primary source for Bujold fanfic these days, and well worth an exploration.
- Recommended by Yrfeloran
- Presently the primary archive used by Vorkosigan fanfic writers, containing well over 600 fics in the fandom.
Stories focused on the family and the friendly relationships of the cast. Plot-focused stories or light day-in-the-life stories. Pretty much anything that isn't focused on romance.
Pater Patriae by Philomytha
- Recommended by Battle Hamster
- Synopsis: A series of three conversations between Gregor and Simon: one shortly after his twentieth birthday, one after Warrior's Apprentice, and one after The Vor Game.
- Comments: The characterization in this fic is excellent; Philomytha writes Simon very well in general, and Gregor's growth between the three scenes is well done.
Forward Momentum by bracketyjack (canon to A Civil Campaign and Winterfair Gifts, but AU to Diplomatic Immunity)
- Recommended by Elizabeth, User:Jonn
- Synopsis: A Terran scientist comes to Lord Auditor Miles Vorkosigan with an hypothesis which could change the laws of reality itself. Miles uses it to bring about an unprecedented era of peace and prosperity for the Imperium...
- Comments : The author tried to imagine a Peaceful Vorkosiverse. You could think it would be boring. But, thanks to lovely characterization and an interesting plot, it's not. Forward Momentum is followed by four tail pieces also available on bracketyjack's LJ.
- It was doing so well right up until The Two Ivans, when Unfortunate Implications came into play. To wit, Ivan does not want to marry two woman who have both proposed to him and are perfectly okay with polygamy. He does, however, want to secretly marry another woman and run away before the first two find out. He is forced to marry all three. And not in the PG Wodehouse hilarious misunderstanding fashion either; the first two find out, show up, and negotiate their positions with the third, without any input from Ivan, backed by Imperial pressure. From both Emperors. While Ivan was in the wrong on a lot of points, that doesn't make it okay to force him into what's basically a Shotgun Wedding. Basically, you might want to skip that story, since it seems more about torturing Ivan than anything else. --User:Jonn
Tides of Stars by Tel-Writing
- Recommended by Pacifist
- Synopsis: AU. After a shocking catastrophe, an older Miles Vorkosigan is again on the run, forced to survive in the past by his wits alone. He can't afford to lose, but to win he must overcome historical inevitability, the laws of physics, and himself.
- Comments : The story starts slow but comes into it's own with the interplay of future Miles, past Miles, and Mark. The second story of the series "We All Want to Change the World" is even better.
Warrior's Apprentice: Scenes from the Other Side by avanti_90
- Recommended by Star Bright
- Synopsis: What was happening on Barrayar while Miles was off accidentally creating the Dendarii.
- Comments: Not much action, but very tense--gives the impression that Barrayar came this close to collapsing into civil war. Also great to see Gregor's perspective; he's portrayed sympathetically, even though in some ways he's an antagonist.
Stories focused on the romantic relationships between the cast.
A Deeper Season by Sahiya and Lightgetsin (AU)
- Recommended by Battle Hamster
- Pairing: Miles/Gregor
- Synopsis: Gregor and Miles deal with the promise of a new technology that may affect their personal lives along with the galaxy as a whole - while dealing with a lot of politics - and courting each other.
- Comments: There's an interesting plot and good characterization. There is also a sequel, What Passing Bells, and both writers have written shorter stories set in the same universe. Everything is here.
The Rules of Barrayaran Sex by Philomythia.
- Recommended by User:Voodoo Child
- Pairing: Aral/Cordelia
- Synopsis: Cordelia's never been good at following rules.
- Comments: Hilarious, spot-on in-character look at some of the little (and notably calmer) moments in Aral and Cordelia's marriage. The Cordelia voice is just perfectly deadpan, and this troper might have ruptured something laughing during the "Lord Regent in his underwear" scene.