|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
"Who are you?"
I AM AWARE
"We mean you no harm."
LIFE-FORM ANALYSIS COMPLETE. SPECIES IS DESTRUCTIVE, INVASIVE, NOXIOUS, HARMFUL TO THE BODY OF THE WHOLE.
YOU ARE VIRUS
Virus is a 1999 science fiction-horror film directed by visual effects artist John Bruno and starring Jamie Lee Curtis, William Baldwin and Donald Sutherland. The film is based on a Dark Horse comic book of the same name by Chuck Pfarrer. The film was a major box-office flop.
The film revolves around the crew of a tugboat, the Sea Star. After barely entering the eye of a hurricane, they see another ship on the radar - the Academik Vladislav Volkov, a Russian missile and satellite tracking ship. With their boat taking on water faster than they can pump it out, the crew boards the Volkov, where they find that the electronics have been powered down and the crew has abandoned ship. Once they power up the ship, bad things happen.
This film provides examples of:
- Action Girl: Nadya definitely has her moments.
- The Assimilator: Even though the aliens claim mankind is the virus, there's a reason we call them that.
- Asshole Victim: Everton.
- Attack of the Killer Whatever
- Ax Crazy:
- The virus would also qualify. Hell, it breaks through a door in a fairly similar manner as Jack Nicholson.
- Body Horror
- Convection, Schmonvection: At one point, Foster is swimming in the ship's fuel. She couldn't possibly get enough oxygen to not suffocate.
- Epic Hail: A nearby ship responding to the previous mayday asks for a flare so that they can find them in the storm. Moments later the Volkov explodes after Steve and Foster escape in the rocketsled and set off Ritchie's boobytrap. The fireball is seen by the other ship from miles away through the storm.
- Giant Spider: The climactic machine.
- Heroic Sacrifice:
- Averted when Foster forbids Steve from doing it.
- Humans Are Bastards: Hence, we must die.
- Kill All Humans: Humans are destructive, invasive, noxious, harmful to the body of the whole. We are virus.
- Kill and Replace: "...you don't recognize me?"
- Named After Somebody Famous: Vladislav Nikolayevich Volkov was a Soviet cosmonaut who flew on the Soyuz 7 and Soyuz 11 missions.
- Oh Crap:
- Pretty much everyone's initial reaction to seeing the climactic machine.
- Steve's reaction when his plunging an ax into the chest of a machine does nothing.
- Recycled ON A BOAT: All that's missing is an "I'll be back".
- Run or Die: Definitely how the bigger machines are treated.
- Scenery Gorn: 42 labs and 5 machine shops worth.
- Self-Constructed Being: The monster builds itself a body out of machine and... human parts.
- Taking You with Me: Partially averted by Richie's plan. The nice man planned on taking the OTHERS with the virus, not himself.
- Technology Porn: ...42 labs and 5 machine shops worth.
- Unwilling Roboticisation: Except for Everton.
- The Virus: And it's from SPAAAACE.
- Title Drop: YOU ARE VIRUS.
- You Don't Look Like You: Anyone the virus kills.