|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Vigil is a fantasy-horror Furry Comic focusing on three characters who aren't exactly... stable. They are an outcast mongoose (super-therians), a grave-robbing doctor and a falsely accused murderer who seems to be the sanest one. Makes a few references to Beowulf.
This webcomic provides examples of:
- Eye Scream: With its own claw too
- Fantasy Gun Control: Guns are implied to have been just introduced, and banned by international treaty after just one war (partly because they can kill mongooses).
- Furries Are Easier to Draw: The author claims he can't draw humans.
- High-Pressure Blood: Lampshaded by Myriam in reference to the Grendels.
(After slicing one with a scalpel) "Very high blood pressure, these things have"
- Lack of Empathy: Myriam was kicked out of medical school after she failed the psychological test, has no problem stealing from patients who don't pay, seems more concerned with conserving medical supplies than with sparing pain from her patients, and doesn't immediately see why you can't eat Undead.
- Morally-Ambiguous Doctorate: Myriam seems to be a fairly benign version. Of course, she doesn't actually have a degree, due to being kicked out of medical school for failing the psychological test. And she's learned most of what she knows by robbing graves.
- Schizo-Tech: There's discussion of genetics, and animal-drawn carts are still a common form of transportation.
- Here Zed seems to be stating that his spinal cord was regenerated using stem cells.
- Super Soldier: Mongooses, created to destroy monsters. They have super strength, speed, agility and the ability to survive a fall from any height.
- The Virus: Grendel. It acts like an ordinary plague but instead of killing the victim, it puts him into a temporary false death state and he reanimates as a monster.
- The Undead: Skeletons and ghouls are fairly common in the swamps, they're mostly considered harmless.