|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Stained glass memories of a broken dreamA time of conquest, a time to die.
A time for progress, a time of steam
Chimneys billowing across the sky
—"Vagues De Vapeur"
Emphasis on self-described.
They're a highly eclectic group. Vernian Process mix Punk Rock, New Wave, Industrial, Darkwave, Deathrock, Trip-Hop, Dream Pop, Cabaret, Goth Rock, Neo-Classical and many other genres. Their songs tend to be highly narrative, often story-like and intricately poetic. They are highly Steampunk, also.
- Joshua A. Pfeiffer (lyrics and vocals)
- Martin Irigoyen (guitar, production, mastering)
- Janus Zarate (bass)
- Brian Figueroa (guitar, keyboard)
- Eugene Dyer III (percussion)
Guest members include:
- Erica "Unwoman" Mulkey
- Heather Yager
Vernian Process and their works contain examples of:
- Afterlife Express: "The Last Express"
- Awesome McCoolname: Unwoman. Need I say more? There are quite a few to choose from here.
- Circus of Fear: Their single, "Something Wicked (That Way Went)" is about one of these. Just guess what book the song is based on.
- Diesel Punk: Their dress and promotional posters often evoke a very Art Deco dieselpunk feel.
- Epic Rocking: "The Maiden Flight", a beautiful piece, clocking in at 13:53.
- Gratuitous French: Vagues de Vapeur. It means "Waves of Steam", which is itself a lyric which comes up a good bit (as opposed to the French version, which is only in the title). We'll forgive them because the song is so awesome.
- Her Heart Will Go On: And on. And on. And on, in the song "Her Clockwork Heart" where the narrator/MadScientist gives his lover a clockwork heart.
- I Am the Band: In the early days. Vernian Process started out as a solo project.
- Neoclassical Punk Zydeco Rockabilly: Actually, they kind of ARE.
- Ocean Madness: An odd, quasi-example in the song "The Exile", the narrator claims to be the sea. So, less the ocean making someone mad so much as amplifying it.
- It's because the narrator is Captain Nemo.
- Ominous Pipe Organ: "Vagues de Vapeur," for the last minute of the song. Once lampshaded by the lead singer at the end of a show:
"Allow me to introduce: Heather on keyboards, Peter on bass, Ash on guitar, Erica on cello, Martin our fucking psychotic guitar player, and I'm Josh...and we like Goth music if you can't tell!"
- One of Us: Definitely. They not only create soundtracks for their favourite games, they also based a song off of the Unhallowed Metropolis RPG.
- Steampunk: So much.