Vanillaware is a game company led by the artist George Kamitani. Its games are renowned for their extremely detailed 2D artwork. It frequently works together with Basiscape for the soundtracks -- in fact, thus far, every single released OST for a Vanillaware game has been effectively a vehicle for the newer artists of Basiscape.
Games by Vanillaware:
- Princess Crown
- Odin Sphere
- Grim Grimoire
- Muramasa the Demon Blade
- Grand Knights History (Japan: September 2011, USA: ???)
- Dragon's Crown (announced for spring 2013)
Vanillaware and George Kamitani use the following tropes:
- Author Appeal: George Kamitani's fetishes appear to be as follows:
- Doing It for the Art: It takes a ton of work to produce 2D graphics lavish enough to strain a contemporary game system.
- Food Porn
- Medieval European Fantasy: Five out of seven games.
- Scenery Porn: To the point where many promotional images are the raw artwork for the backgrounds.
- Spiritual Successor: Princess Crown --> Odin Sphere --> Muramasa. In fact, during development, the games were respectively referred to as Princess Crown 2 and Princess Crown 3. Dragon's Crown is instead a successor to Dungeons & Dragons: Tower Of Doom.