|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
Vampire Kisses is a series of books written by Ellen Schreiber. The series revolves around the relationship of a goth girl named Raven Madison and her vampire boyfriend, Alexander Sterling, and the conflicts they must overcome to stay together.
The books in the series are:
- Vampire Kisses (2003)
- Vampire Kisses II: Kissing Coffins (2005)
- Vampire Kisses III: Vampireville (2006)
- Vampire Kisses IV: Dance with a Vampire (2007)
- Vampire Kisses V: Coffin Club (2008)
- Vampire Kisses VI: Royal Blood (2009)
- Vampire Kisses VII: Love Bites (2010)
- Vampire Kisses VIII: Cryptic Cravings (2011)
- Vampire Kisses IX: Immortal Hearts (2012)
There is also a comic tie in the series titles Vampire Kisses Blood Relatives.
These books contain examples of:
- Beta Couple: Becky and Matt
- Blood Magic: Valentine Maxwell has an ability similar to reading minds that is done with blood. Whether this is something all vampires can do or not has not yet been stated.
- Cannot Spit It Out: By the end of the first book, Becky and Matt are a couple. It takes Matt until book SEVEN to tell Becky that he loves her
- Clingy Jealous Girl / Psycho Ex-Girlfriend: Luna Maxwell
- Cool Big Sis: Raven is this to Billy
- Deadpan Snarker: Raven.
- Franchise Zombie: The series was intended to just be the first book, but her editor had her change the ending to make it open to sequels and then Ellen was contracted for a series of eight books. It has recently been extended to ten, whether it will continue beyond that is currently unknown.
- Jerk Jock: Trevor Mitchell. He's bullied Raven ever since kindergarden though he flirts with her from time to time. It's hinted on various occasions that he has a crush on her and is incapable of expressing his feelings.
- Love Dodecahedron: Raven loves Alexander, Alexander loves Raven. Becky loves Matt, Matt loves Becky. But then as of Love Bites, Luna is still after Alexander, Jagger and Trevor both have crushes on Raven (though they don't seem too incredibly fixated), Sebastian falls for Becky and then for Luna, Scarlet likes Trevor, and Onyx likes Jagger
- Our Vampires Are Different: They give live birth (though humans can become vampires through biting and occasionally vampires give birth to half-vampires or mortals) and age normally, but outside of those two things they actually follow a lot of conventional vampire lore brought into modern day, like being unable to go out in sunlight (though it's never specified exactly what will happen if they do), are allergic to garlic, and can turn into bats. They seem to be common in Romania.
- It has been revealed in Cryptic Cravings that a vampire ages normally for a while, then their aging slows down and eventually stops.
- Perky Goth: Raven is a somewhat stereotyped goth who listens to Him, Marilyn Manson and, strangely enough, The Cruxshadows (strange not because she's goth, but because most music references were to what people think are goths' favorite bands), wears mostly black, is obsessive over vampires and is disliked by most people.
- Protagonist-Centered Morality: Raven condemns Trevor for taking advantage of and humiliating other girls, but is a hero when she herself takes advantage of and humiliates him. It really doesn't help that we never see Trevor do anything like that.
- Tomboy and Girly Girl: Raven and her best friend, Becky.
- "Well Done, Son" Guy: Alexander's father in Royal Blood. Things seem to be better between them by the end