|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Uptown Girls is a 2003 film starring Brittany Murphy and Dakota Fanning. The plot is comedic and mainly involves Molly Gunn playing nanny to Larraine "Ray" Schleine. There's also an romantic subplot, and the story also deals with dead parents, growing up, and delves into the characters' issues to form an amusing but heartwarming film.
This movie provides examples of:
- Adult Child: Molly, prior to Character Development.
- Book Ends: Ray says something insightful at the opening and closing of the movie.
- Control Freak: Ray is written all over this trope.
- Cool Big Sis: Molly tries to play this to Ray.
- Deadpan Snarker: Ingrid and Ray.
- Known Only By Their Nickname: "Nobody calls me Larraine."
- Little Miss Snarker
- My Parents Are Dead: Molly essentially says this to Neal, and later describes the situation to Ray.
- Parental Abandonment
- Pinky Swear
- Shout-Out: "What is this, The Shining?"
- Spoiled Sweet: Molly in the beginning. She has all of her birthday gifts taken to the Salvation Army without even looking at them.
- There Are No Therapists: Averted.
Molly: Kid, have you ever been to a shrink?
Ray: Since I was three.
- Troubling Unchildlike Behaviour: Ray, Ray, Ray. The pill-popping, the ridiculously advanced vocabulary, the flipping off of anyone who dares displease her...yup.