The Loop (TV)
Do you like this video?
|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
When two characters who are related in the source material aren't this time around. In canon works, this is usually a side-effect of Composite Character. Fanfiction writers often employ this trope so that they can do away with Incest Is Relative.
Examples of Unrelated in the Adaptation include:
- In the New 52 line, Mary Batson is now Mary Bromfield full time, being Billy's unrelated foster sibling instead of a Long-Lost Relative. This set the trend for most Shazam media in the 21st century.
- The Thirteen Primes play with this in Transformers: Robots in Disguise. The lineup of the group is based on their depiction in the Transformers Aligned Universe where they were famously and openly written as siblings. Here they're all unrelated, being simply charismatic tribal leaders who formed The Alliance. In the case of Prima, Alpha Trion, Vector Prime, Nexus Prime, the Fallen, and the Liege Maximo however, this is was how they were originally presented.
- In this timeline, Primus and Unicron are entirely unconnected to each other and were never even shown to have been aware of the other's existence.
- This was possibly the case for Quintus Prime and the Quintessons but with the Quints being Demoted to Extra, we'll likely never know.
- On a general note, Transformers media that isn't explicitly a crossover with G.I. Joe will ditch the fact that Marissa Fairborne is the daughter of Flint and Lady Jaye. Zig-zagged in the Hasbro Comic Universe. Marissa is still Flint's daughter but due to Jaye's Age Lift, she's not Marissa's mother.
- Go to the Frozen fanfiction section. We promise you 50% of the selections invoke this for Anna and Elsa, the film's Fan-Preferred Couple. Hilariously, in the original story, the Queen and her Muggle Best Friend weren't related.
- Marvel Cinematic Universe:
- Shang-Chi isn't the son of Fu Manchu, since, do to a combination of Unfortunate Implications and Screwed by the Lawyers, Fu Manchu doesn't exist in the MCU.
- There's no indication that Carina is the Collector's daughter.
- Sif and Heimdall are siblings in the comic but have no relation here, likely due to Heimdall's Race Lift while Sif is still white as snow.
- Hela is a twist on this. Here she's presented as Odin's biological daughter, making her related to both him and Thor... but making her unrelated to Loki, who is her biological father in the comics and the original myths.
- In Fantastic Four (2015), Susan Storm is Johnny's adopted sister. This is the result of Johnny's Race Lift while Susan was left white to try and increase the team's diversity.
- In the G.I. Joe films, Heavy Duty and Roadblock aren't cousins.
- There's no mention in the film about Zeus and Hades' brotherly relationship or Hera being their sister. The questionably canon cartoon show does cast Zeus and Hades (along with Poseidon) as brothers but makes no mention of Hera, Hestia, and Demeter being their sisters.
- Hercules is not Alcmene's son. That role is given to Hera, who in Greek myths is his Wicked Stepmother. Alcmene and her husband Amphyteon are Herc's beloved foster parents, however.
- In the RDM Battlestar Galactica, Sharon Agathon is the counterpart to Lieutenant Athena, who was Adama's daughter in the original series. Here, not only is Athena unrelated to Adama, she's a copy of Cylon #8.
- Equestria Girls introduced Diamond Tiara and Filthy Rich separately with no indication that the two are related.
- Might have been the case in Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. In the comics, Skaar is Hulk's son but this Skaar doesn't remember his past.
- Iron Man: Armored Adventures:
- Sasha is now Justin Hammer's PA instead of his granddaughter. Justified since this Hammer is far too young to have a granddaughter.
- Madame Masque plays with this. She's Iron Monger's daughter but not related to Count Nefaria, her comic father, who does appear.
- Spider-Girl in Ultimate Spider-Man is a female version of himself from an alternate reality rather than being his Kid From the Future.
- In Superman: The Animated Series, Kara Zor-El becomes Kara In-Ze, last survivor of Krypton's "sister planet" Argo and her being Superman's cousin is an honorific . This was due to DC's then-mandate that Superman be the only survivor of Krypton and well and truly the Last of His Kind.
- In Voltron: Legendary Defender, neither Bandor nor Romelle are Allura's cousins. In fact, it's even a bit of a plot point: they're actually descendants of the traveling Alteans who escaped the destruction of their planet and ended up living in Lotor's Altean colony.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.