|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
A 2005 video game that is based on the comic Ultimate Spider-Man.
This game provides examples of:
- Adorkable: Peter Parker, again. Sean Marquette has some experience voicing socially awkward guys who are pretty cute.
- Alternate Continuity: The game is more of an entire reimagination of Ultimate Spider Man than a real adaptation, the take on Venom and Spidey is completely different, Venom in particular is quite sympathetic and his fate is much better (for him) than in the comics.
- Amusing Injuries: "Don't worry, nothing's broken except my spine... and ribs... and everything."
- And Now for Someone Completely Different
- And Your Reward Is Clothes: 100% completion required to play as Spider-Man in the symbiote suit. With no gameplay differences whatsoever.
- Anti-Villain: Silver Sable.
- Badass Normal: The Beetle and Silver Sable--the only two bosses fought by both Spidey and Venom.
- Berserk Button: "That's my bike you smashed this place up with!"
- The Cameo: Venom's first boss is Wolverine.
- In fact, there are cameos from all three of the other Ultimate series (at the time the game was made that is): Johnny Storm from the Fantastic Four, who you can race against, and Nick Fury from the Ultimates. No, you can't race him.
- Canon Dis Continuity: The comic adapted the game but ignored all the storylines made for it.
- It's the other way around. The videogame synced very well with the comic at the time it was released. However, scheduling issues pushed the comic adaptation further out. When it finally was adapted from the game, it had to be in Broad Strokes to account for all the other story elements that were already in play.
- Car Fu: Venom's weapon of choice. Great against helicopters.
- Chronic Hero Syndrome: Spider-Man, oh so very much.
- Contractual Boss Immunity/Regret Eating Me: Venom probably shouldn't try to consume anyone made of indestructible blades, anyone made of electricity, anyone who instinctively fires machine guns, or anyone formed of a chaotic spiky symbiote.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Bolivar Trask
- Curse Cut Short:
Sharon Carter: Get this area sealed off inside of 10 seconds or I'll fire the first son of a--
Spider-Man: You with Fury?
- Deadpan Snarker
- Determinator: Sable shot Peter with about seven tranquilizer darts and he's not knocked out. Well, not until after his fight with Venom...
- Double Jump: Only Spider-Man.
"Press the jump button, then press it again and I can jump in midair! Sure it breaks the laws of physics, but so does everything else I do."
- Elemental Rock-Paper-Scissors: Invoked in the fight between Venom and Electro.
- Even Evil Has Standards:
Silver Sable: Hang on, I'll help you!
Peter Parker: First, you tried to kill me, and now you're helping me?
Silver Sable: I've been hired to capture you, not to kill innocent people.
Peter Parker: Aw, you're crazy with a heart of gold.
- Fantastic Racism: "Mutants are people, too."
- Five-Bad Band:
- Get Back Here Boss: Oh man.
- Heel Face Revolving Door: Silver Sable goes from attacking Peter to helping him with the innocents to attacking him again until finally letting him get Trask.
- Infant Immortality: Averted in a Take That towards the children who kept losing their balloons in the Spider-Man 2 tie-in game.
- Just Business:
Spider-Man: But you... [tried to kill me]
Silver Sable: Eh, no hard feelings. Business is business, huh?
- Mythology Gag: "Madame Web is faster than you, and I don't even get the reference!"
- Oh Crap: "I'm so scared I can't even finish my lame joke", says Spider-Man after seeing how big Rhino is.
- Don't forget the final battle where he goes, "You again?!" on Silver Sable just before she says that she's not gonna attack him.
- The Only One Allowed to Defeat You: Venom feels that only he should be allowed to defeat Spider.
- Power High: When Venom gains absolute control of his symbiotic suit.
- Punch Clock Villain: Silver Sable.
- Rubber Man: Venom's stretch attack.
- Secret Identity Change Trick: Peter changes into his Spider-Man costume by a car.
- Spared By Adaptation: Venom, the character itself, in the Ultimate comics he barely is a character at all, just a blob which is always hungry and Eddie can't exactly control it; here even without control Venom seems to be maintain some intelligence, and Eddie learns how to control it, by the end of the game Venom seems to become much more harmless and lives on, unlike the comics version.
- Take That/Self-Deprecation: In the video game, Venom's tutorial presents you with your first task of absorbing people so that you don't lose health, your first target? A child holding a balloon. In Spider-Man 2, there were criticisms about helping kids who constantly lose their balloons.
- Vampiric Draining
- What Could Have Been: There were apparently plans to give cameos to The Ultimates.
- Nick Fury shows up, at the very least.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Spider-Man calls out Nick Fury (and Silver Sable, mistaking her as his employee) for not keeping Electro in custody.
- Wide Open Sandbox
- Would Hit a Girl: Spidey and Venom's boss fights with Silver Sable.
- Wolverine Publicity: Wolverine himself shows up as a boss for Venom to fight.