|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Prolific folk-rock and children's music duo composed of guitarist Ezra Idlet and bassist Keith Grimwood. Although they made themselves known with catchy, silly songs suitable for children (but certainly listenable for adults), many of their albums also include more serious folk-rock and sometimes country fare. Despite being a total No-Hit Wonder, they're prolific enough to have garnered four Grammy nominations.
Tropes present in their work:
- Cerebus Rollercoaster: Serious "adult" album, funny children's album, "adult" album with softer and funnier songs… they've been everywhere.
- Everything's Better with Dinosaurs: "When I Was a Dinosaur".
- Fat and Skinny: Keith and Ezra, respectively.
- The Funday Pawpet Show: Songs "Proper Cup of Coffee" and "The Window" became Pawpet standards, character Ezra was named after Ezra Idlet, and Ezra and Keith appeared in a FPS opening spot.
- Literary Allusion Title: They're named after the Richard Brautigan book.
- Must Have Caffeine: "What I Want Is a Proper Cup of Coffee".
- New Sound Album: Over the Limit was their first album not explicitly composed of children's songs. From that point onward, they began alternating between children's songs and more serious folk-rock.
- No-Hit Wonder (Although Funday Pawpet Show fans would disagree)
- Nobody Loves the Bassist: Discussed and inverted in "The Day the Bass Players Took Over the World".
- Vocal Tag Team: They split the vocals about 50/50, although Ezra usually takes the ballads.
- Word Salad Lyrics: Some of their up-tempos go this way, such as "Spider's Fence" and "My Front Door".