|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Witty and sophisticated pre-code comedy from director Ernst Lubitsch about a couple of crooks planning to steal from a rich entrepreneur.
- Batman Gambit: Gaston does this anytime he believes someone might recognize him.
- Book Ends: The movie starts and finishes with Gaston and Lily showing the other what they have stolen from each other and then kissing.
- Conspicuous Consumption
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: The movie is completely shameless about it.
Gaston: Good night, Madame. And let me tell you again, you dance like a dream.
Mme. Colet: Oh no, it's the way you lead.
Gaston: No, Madame, it's the way you follow.
- Gentleman Thief
- Give Me Back My Wallet
- Gratuitous German
- Gratuitous Italian
- Gratuitous Russian
- Gratuitous Spanish
- Have We Met?: Hilariously played with; Francois is quite insistent that he's never met Gaston before. Then he remembers where he *does* know him from.
Francois: Tonsils! I distinctly remember tonsils!
- Ho Yay: Between The Major and François.
- Love Triangle
- Running Gag: "I have a confession to make"
- Screw the Rules, I Have Money: Called out by Gaston. Although, you have to remember he is the thief.
Gaston: I see. You have to be in the Social Register to keep out of jail. But when a man starts at the bottom and works his way up, a self-made crook, then you say, "Call the police! Put him behind bars! Lock him up!"
From Geneva comes the news that the famous international crook, Gaston Monescu, robbed the peace conference yesterday. He took practically everything except the peace.
- Victoria's Secret Compartment: Lily usually hides the things she steals there. Not always with success, though.