|Quotes • Headscratchers • Playing With • Useful Notes • Analysis • Image Links • Haiku • Laconic|
Mostly found in animated and CG media, the Traveling Pipe Bulge is a phenomenon that occurs when an object moves through a pipe or hard tube, creating a bulge to tell you where it is. Bonus points if the fittings do not contract after the object passes through them.
- In one episode of Staflik a Spagetka, it was done inside a monocular.
Film -- Animated
- Happens in The Nightmare Before Christmas when objects (such as Santa Claus) go down the pipe to Oogie Boogie's lair.
- In a rare variance of this trope, Santa's transport causes bolts to pop out of the pipe.
- In Horton Hears a Who (the Jim Carrey version), this happens when Horton's voice first travels down the pipe to the mayor's office.
- The Thief does this extensively while trying to sneak into the castle in The Thief and the Cobbler.
Film -- Live Action
- Happens in Deep Rising when the worm monsters pass through pipes.
- They did this in the Red Dwarf episode "Polymorph".
- Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Rita's Monster-Matic (a magic kiln that turns clay figures into full-sized beings, either monsters or Putty Patrollers) displays this with its exit pipe.
- Several recent Super Mario Bros. games have this (but not the NES or SNES games).
- Super Mario World 2 Yoshis Island had this.
- Happens in Tales of Monkey Island, Chapter 3. Although in this case it's a bile tube, not a pipe.
- Many tubes in Loco Roco are very flexible, allowing to stretch so a locoroco could traverse pipes and other things in one piece.
- In the DS version of Sonic Colors, there are a few elevators in Tropical Resort which bulge when Sonic enters them.
- In Generation 1-3 Pokémon Cable Link trades.
- When Kirby goes behind the background in Kirbys Epic Yarn, it bulges, as do cannons when he's inside them.
- Spellbound Dizzy has a few pipes that lead to new areas. One of these is actually a man-eating flower.
- In The Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle, these show up whenever Bugs enters a pipe.
- Happens in the Darkwing Duck episode "Dry Hard", when The Liquidator is passing through the pipes of the city waterworks. ("Followwwww that piiiiipe!")
- Happens in the Kid vs. Kat season 2 episode "The Three Aarghs", when Kat's giant satellite is accidentally falling apart and destroyed, which causes the electrical switch to overheat, and blasts into a massive bolt of lightning that connected to a cable wire which makes a huge bulge travels and charges faster onto the Burtonburger's house.
- Fanboy and Chum Chum has their straws showing bulge of Frosty Freezy Freeze as they suck it from the source.
- In the 1935 Looney Tunes short "Billboard Frolics", a cat traps a dog in a piece of pipe, which bulges where the dog thrashes around inside.
- In one of Chuck Jones' Tom and Jerry cartoons, Jerry escapes into a gutter; when Tom follows, there's a noticeable bulge.
- Also, any time Jerry (or tar/air/etc) goes through a garden hose.
- Felix the Cat: "Felix Doubles for Darwin" short has a whole scene of Felix traveling through the entire transatlantic cable and then back again, pursued by apes.
- Mario & Luigi in the Super Mario Bros Super Show.