|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Transition is a novel by Iain Banks, first published in 2009.
It is based on the premise that a virtually infinite number of parallel dimensions do indeed exist. Set between the dismantling of the Berlin Wall and the destruction of the Twin Towers, Transition centres on a shadowy organisation called 'The Concern' whose members can transport their consciousness into the bodies of unsuspecting people in other dimensions by ingesting a drug called Septus and thus meddle with the socio-political development of other Earths.
This book provides examples of:
The Philospher: I do draw the line at children. Some of my colleagues will happily obligue when a child must be tortured to force a parent to talk, but I think this is both morally objectionable and suspect in principle."
- Good People Have Good Sex
- First Contact: Madame d'O's goal is to avoid this
- Jack Bauer Interrogation Technique
- Karmic Death: And how!
- Knight Templar: several, e.g. Madame d'O
- The Masquerade: Depending on wether you're living in an open or in a closed world a Marsquerade will or will not be in place
- Necessarily Evil:
The Philospher: "I do not enjoy what I do, though I am not ashamed of it, and it would be no exaggeration to say that I am proud of it. It is something that has to be done, and somebody has to do it"
- Psychic Powers: Trackers, Blockers, Transitioners, Forseers, etcpp.
- The Multiverse
- The Vamp: Madame d'O, or at least she tries...
- Unreliable Narrator:
"Apparently I am what is known as an Unreliable Narrator, though of course if you believe everything you're told you deserve whatever you get."
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: several (e.g. the Christian Terrorists)
- You Did the Right Thing: Creepy when a torturer tells you this
- Edges into Your Approval Fills Me with Shame.
- Zeppelins from Another World: Played with.
The Transitioner: "I look up, hoping for airships. I always like when there are airships, but I can't see any." (later, on another world:) "Into the street. Still no airships. Dommage!"