|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
The direct sequel to Transformers: Age of Extinction, Transformers: The Last Knight is fifth film in the Bayverse series, and was released on June 21 2017.In the years since Optimus Prime left Earth to find the Creators, relations between humans and Transformers have significantly worsened with all the mechanical aliens being declared illegal on Earth (bar Cuba). What few Autobots remain on Earth are hiding out in a junkyard, rescuing any of their kind that they can, before Cade finds a mysterious talisman, said to be a harbinger of the apocalypse.
Tropes used in The Last Knight include:
- Aborted Arc: From all indications, Quintessa isn't one the Creators that Optimus set out to find.
- Adapted Out: Despite Unicron appearing, kind of, Primus is absent with Quintessa claiming to be the creator of the Cybertronian race. That said, Unicron's energy being compatible with Cybertron and Unicron's horns emerging as a scare tactic suggests that Primus is Cybertron.
- Advertised Extra: Barricade and Isabella.
- Back From the Dead: After the Autobots pretty much blew it up in Dark of the Moon, Quintessa leeches away enough of Unicron's life force to restore it to habitability.
- Big Bad Ensemble: Subverted. The TRF and the Autobots pull an Enemy Mine while Megatron and Quintessa are a Big Bad Duumvirate.
- Both Sides Have a Point: Quintessa accuses Optimus of dooming Cybertron. Optimus then retorts that Megatron started the war and though it's not brought up, Optimus was the one who was willing to sacrifice their home for Earth.
- But for Me It Was Tuesday: World War II? That might have been one of the most destructive wars in human history, but to Bumblebee, it was just another battlefield as he was scouting for the AllSpark.
- Canon Dis Continuity: Revealing that the Autobots have been on Earth since the Middle Ages and showing Bumblebee having arrived, at the earliest, in WWII, erases a good chunk of the Expanded Universe.
- Composite Character: Quintessa takes on Quintus Prime's appearance and a variation of his name, Solus Prime's gender, Liege Maximo's reputation as a liar, and Micronus Prime's size.
- Curb Stomp Battle: Three Decepticons; Megatron, Barricade, and Nitro Zeus; are able to defeat the British Army.
- Earth Is the Center of the Universe: Justified. Earth formed around Unicron.
- Inferred Holocaust: Visuals imply that Cybertron scraped away Hong Kong.
- Never Trust a Trailer:
- Marketing suggests that "the Last Knight" is Optimus. It's Cade.
- Many trailers suggested that Optimus pulled a Face Heel Turn and decided to heal Cybertron at Earth's expense in response to humanity being Ungrateful Bastards. In truth, he was Brainwashed and Crazy and is evil for barely 10 minutes.
- One trailer even suggested that the Autobots and Decepticons would team up to defeat Quintessa. Nope.
- Not Quite Dead: Turns out Cybertron survived the collapsing space bridge in Dark of the Moon. That said, it is dying.
- Reality Ensues: Optimus heading out into space under his own power in the last film looked cool sure, but he ran out of energon near Jupiter.
- Sequel Hook: The movie ends with Cybertron, partially, restored but left in Earth's orbit, Megatron and Quintessa still out there, with the latter still scheming to destroy Unicron and Earth.
- Time Skip: It's hinted that a few years have passed since AOE.
- Unreliable Narrator: Much of Quintessa's dialogue implies this about her. She claims to be the god of the Cybertronian race yet seems to be a Cybertronian herself. Add to that the fact that previous film showed the Creators as organic beings and that Quintessa has the title of "The Great Deceiver."
- Well-Intentioned Extremist: Megatron and Quintessa. They'll drain the life out of Unicron and use his energy to restore Cybertron. The only thing that stops them from being heroes is that killing Unicron means destroying Earth.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: The Seed Optimus was carrying mysteriously vanishes with no explanation.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Pretty much every villain gives this to Optimus for allowing Earth to survive at Cybertron's expense.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.