|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Tower of God possesses a vast array of unique characters, and here's the place to look them up.
On a sidenote: There are several groups with their own distinctive features such as Zahard's Princesses.
Furthermore, there is the Royal Enforcement Division (RED), which serves as police and secret service, removing dangers to the Tower (or rather, Zahard's ruling structures).
Another group is Urek Mazino's Walhaiksong, or the Winged Tree, which is made up of Urek's followers and has become as influential as the oldest group:
The 10 Great Families, founded by the ten warriors that climbed the Tower with Zahard. Even though each family can be seen as a faction of their own, they all are supporters of Zahard.
Unlike this particular group: FUG, the organisation of Luslec Grace, which apparently took Baam under their wing. Little is known except that they are the sworn enemy of the 10 families and are a religiously fanatic underground crime organisation.
People who entered the tower uninvited and by their own strength, which means they are some of the strongest and most terrifying creatures in the whole Tower. Most of them are Shrouded in Myth, and rumors about them never give much away except that they are pretty dangerous.
25th Baam Jyu Viole Grace
The Hero of Tower of God, Baam is unsual in the tower in that he opened the door himself, thus making him an Irregular, who are univerisally feared throughout the tower as being ultra powerful monsters who almost always bring great calamity within the tower. He is also considered unusual and borderline crazy because he values his friends over his own desire to climb the tower, and is thus quickly deemed dangerous. After the timeskip, he reappears in front of Ja Wangnan, and sort of teams up with him. He now is part of the criminal organization FUG and has adopted the family name of Grace, leader of FUG.
- Badass Normal: Subverted. He appears this way at first, but eventually its shown he's crazy talented.
- Break the Cutie: Though he isn't broken, the whole thing with Ho did bring him pretty close to snapping, and he laments the constant infighting between regulars. Even when everybody says it's the most normal, logical thing to happen. And then Rachel happened.
- Cute Shotaro Boy: Oh yes, he is.
- Dude Looks Like a Lady: He always was effeminately pretty. And then he returns as Female Baam with wavy long hair in a ponytail.
- Expy: He looks like Ganta Igarashi and Yukiteru Amano. Has none of eithers initial wimpiness.
- Guile Hero: Baam is definitely not stupid.
- The Heart
- The Hero
- Magnetic Hero: Becomes well liked and friendly with many of his fellows, so much so that they choose to help him out even when it means that they will be disadvantaged in the tower.
- Never Found the Body: Everyone simply accepted that he was dead after they failed to pull his body from the lake.
- No Sell: A wave of Shinsoo proves utterly ineffective at pushing him back. Similarly, he doesn't even notice that he entered a high density of Shinsoo, which other experienced tower users would balk at going through.
- Sealed Badass in a Can: He was originally trapped in an empty valley until Rachel freed him.
- Teen Genius: He learns Wave Control skills quickly. To contrast, it took a fellow prodigy decades to get the hang of properly manipulating Shinsoo. It took Baam days.
- Another was when a Ranker showed him a trick to paralyze his opponents to help Baam get out of a sticky situation, but then thinks to himself that its just a false hope because it took him years to get it right. Baam does it in one try
- Technical Pacifist: Though he dislikes enmity and fighting, he defends himself when attacked, he is prepared to kill in order to get to Rachel (though he is releaved when he doesn't have to) and later on, he mops he mops the floor with everyone.
- Vague Age: Evidence is starting to come to light that Baam may not be a as young as he looks.
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: He absolutely hates the idea of fighting and harming and truly wants every to be friends.
The first Irregular (discounting Zahard himself, who technically entered as an Irregular but predates the Irregular / Regular system), a being mostly referred to as monster who brought chaos to the Tower under Zahard.
- Curb Stomp Battle: He vs anyone. Period.
- One-Man Army: Any of the highest rankers qualifies as this, but Phantaminum explicitly stormed the most fortified and powerful fortress in the world, which was guarded by the most powerful people in the world, all on his own.
- Storming the Castle: Attacked the fortress of the king (where nearly all the strongest Rankers in the world were) singlehandedly. And before he decided to stop (for unknown reasons), he was winning. Easily.
- UnknownRivals: Supposedly with Enryu, people may talk about it, but the have never met before.
- World's Strongest Man: He is the number one. The only guy people are giving a snowball's chance in hell to defeat him is Enryu.
Urek is an Irregular that came after Phantaminum (possibly tracking down Phantaminum) and climbed the Tower in just 50 years. He is currently the 4th strongest and the strongest active ranker. Also, he founded a group called the Walhaiksong or Winged Tree, which has become strong enough to rival the 10 Great Families in strength. He is on good terms with Yuri Zahard.
- Worthy Opponent: For Arie Hon and Koon Eduan, Koon's father.
- Unrequited Love: For Garam Zahard, no less.
The second-strongest Ranker in the Tower, legendary for killing a Guardian (which had previously been considered to be literally immortal.)
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: The Guardians were considered to be immortal god-creatures with near-absolute power over their floor... until he killed one.
- Flechette Storm: Red Rain.
- Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny: He and Phantaminum have never met and have nothing to do with each other, but since they're the first and second-strongest Rankers who ever lived, fans of each within the tower constantly speculate about who would win in a fight.
Koon Agero Agnis is the son of High Ranker Koon Eduan and from one of the Noble families that first climbed the tower. He meets Baam in the second floor's first test, and deems him interesting enough to accompany and aid him while they climb the tower after Rak takes an interest in him.
- Brother-Sister Incest: People say that he and his half-sister Maria were lovers.
- Journey to Find Oneself
- Loophole Abuse: Koon spends most of his time trying to subvert the towers rules, with mixed results.
- Manipulative Bastard
- The Smart Guy
- Smug Snake
- White-Haired Pretty Boy
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair
The secondary main character of season 2. While by no means weak, his dreams, being King of the Tower, are far beyond is current capabilities. He's also running away from loan sharks and a bit of a coward with a good heart.
Miseng is a regular Ja and Baam met during the first part of the 20th floor test. Ja's resolve to attack the next person was crushed by her being utterly adorable (and wearing a school girls uniform).
- Token Mini-Moe: Of all the character designs SIU has thought up, after 82 chapters and more than fifty characters, he has an adorable little girl.
Miseng's friend. An apparently reasonable woman with a mousy look.
Rak is a giant alligator that unwillingly teamed up with Baam and Koon in the first round of the Floor of Test, and has been a member of the team ever since.
- Awesome McCoolname
- The Big Guy
- Badass: Bitch please. This is Rak Wraithraiser.
- Blood Knight: His sole reason for entering the tower is to find interesting people to fight.
- Bruiser with a Soft Center: Although he comes off as a Blood Knight at first, he's actually one of the more compassionate people in the cast.
- Ensemble Darkhorse
- The Fettered: His principles and integrity are pure.
- The Heart: Yeah, despite being a hunter and pretty abrasive, he is one of the most decent and inspiring characters next to Baam, living a life in absolute honesty.
- The Hunter: Of the strong.
- In-Series Nickname: Gator.
- Large Ham: All over the place, but especially here:
"OF COURSE! A GAME WITHOUT ME IS A GAME NOT WORTH WINNING!"
- Spell My Name with an "S": Is it Wraithraiser or Wreckraiser?
- Verbal Tic: You damn Turtles! Turtles, I say!
- Vitriolic Best Buddies: Rak and Koon.
- Tsundere: Oh deliciously for his prey.
"Without this weapon, you have no purpose! Of course I didn't get this because I cared about you or anything!"
A lizard girl with a hook that can expand. She first appears in the first test of the second floor where she meets Hatsu and immediately battles him. Though being one of the strongest, she keeps to herself. Turns out that she is the daughter of the real Anak Zahard, a defected Princess who married a regular and that she is wielding Green April. She is out to get revenge for her parents' murder by killing the entire Zahard family.
- Berserk Button: Anything related to the Zahards makes her blood boil. And then Ren reveals he killed her mother.
- Curtains Match the Window: The colour is brown.
- Death Glare
- Legacy Character: She's actually the daughter of the original Anak Zahard.
- Little Miss Badass
- Lizard Folk
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Pretends to be a spoilt brat during the crown game, and then reveals she is placed best where she wanted to be while she swats everybody like flies.
See Zahard's Princesses
The son of a… potter? Still, he has been training his swordsmanship for many years, enabling to go toe to toe with Anak, whom he grows very close to, and standing his ground against Quant. By the second chapter, he's so famous that the mere rumor that someone managed to beat 'that Hatsu guy' in battle is their main selling point as a mercenary.
- Badass Normal: Though he does have a pair of magical swords, his ability to fight far above his weight class comes more from pure training than anything else.
- Curtains Match the Window: His colour is black.
- Dual-Wielding: The Sword That Flies Higher Than Any. The Sword That Flies Lower Than Any.
- Fantasy Counterpart Culture: His clothing, his name, his physical characteristics, his weapons and his mentality are very Japanese.
- Ronin: Though probably a Korean version of a masterless Samurai.
- Samurai: More of a Ronin, but still.
A Regular that, like Baam, is a Wave Controller. Looks very effeminate and has a red horn. All of his friends were killed by a random monstrous humanoid and since then, he tried to climb the Tower to get the strength he didn't have when all he loved were slaughtered.
- Can't Catch Up
- Driven to Suicide
- Dude Looks Like a Lady
- Killed Off for Real
- Knight of Cerebus
- Rapunzel Hair
- Curtains Match the Window
She is a Regular that gets introduced in season 2 and first appears by frying Ja Wangnan. Later, she climbs with the team of the Lurker loan sharks because of her debt, which gets transferred to Baam after he wins the Shinsoo competition.
- Action Survivor
- Butt Monkey
- Guile Hero: His stat sheet lists him as nearly dead last in every single category... except intelligence, where he's one of the highest of the first chapter's Regulars.
- Nice Guy: Among other things, he uses his own body to cling on to Quant, getting horribly beaten up solely to slow him down a tiny bit and increase his team's chances of victory... even though, as Quant points out, he himself was already certain to pass.
- The Smart Guy: Forms along with Koon the strategical team.
- Team Mom: A gender-flipped example.
She is Baams first and best friend, though she leaves him to search for a starry sky (aka absolute freedom). He follows her, the plot begins, awesomeness ensues. Later she forms a team with Androssi and Akryung and might have been part of the slaughter of 197 regulars. She goes by the moniker Michelle Light after realizing Baam is in her test group.
- Anti-Hero: The author's blog says that she's one of these.
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing: Supposedly kills Baam by pushing into dark waters.
- Ill Girl: Ho's knife permanently disables her. Or does it?
- Ridiculously Average Guy: Except for being able to use and endure Shinsoo… like everybody else.
- Meaningful Name: According to the author's blog, her name was chosen because "In Sherlock Holmes, there is a reference to the word Rache(Rah-he) that means revenge in German."
- Brilliant but Lazy: He's one of the most powerful of the Regulars in the first chapter, but usually prefers to just curl up in his blanket and fall asleep.
- Bunny Ears Lawyer: Kicks ass when he stops sleeping on the battle field.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass
- Sleepyhead: Carries a pillow and a blanket around everywhere, and will throw them down and fall asleep at the slightest opportunity.
The last addition to the survival game. He acts like a very smart and very ruthless person and thinks more about instantaneous advantages than long-time pay-offs. He has got short silver hair and fights with an umbrella capable of shooting Shinsoo beams.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Parasol of Pain
- You Remind Me of X: Miseng reminds him of his daughter, which is why he wanted to get her safely out of the game.
An Anima who swoons over Hong Chunhwa and is in it for the money.
A mysterious character with mask and tight neoprene suit that first appeared in the Crown Game and dominated the last round, until Baam slashed her face with Shinsoo. Since then, she wore and eyepatch and let her hair down.
- Cool Big Sis
- Curb Stomp Battle: In the Crown Game, she sweeps the floor with everybody except Androssi.
- Ensemble Darkhorse: She is hot, she kicks everybody's ass and she helps Baam, what can you not like about her?
- Eyepatch of Power
- Eye Scream: There's one fairly graphic panel of Baam's power slashing across her eye; if you're reading quickly, it's easy to miss that the slash is shown cutting deeply into the eyeball.
- Fiery Redhead: Subverted. She is more a Cute Mute or The Stoic than fiery.
- Kuudere: Silent, but kind of adorable.
- Chekhov's Gunman: She appears as a mysterious, strong regular who gets injured in the crown game, is however a ranker, a guide like Evan, and in fact, Rachel's and then Baam's guide.
A gargantuan Regular who entered the survial match, but took up Ja Wangnan's peace offer. He crushes hard on Goseng so that it is virtually impossible for Ja to beat anybody up. He fights using an odd colored iconographic that appears floating beside him, focusing his abilities in specific areas -- a blue shield enhancing his defense, a winged boot to enhance his speed, a giant red fist to enhance his strength, and so on.
- The Big Guy for season 2.
- Bruiser with a Soft Center
- Gentle Giant: Though his gentleness has its limits.
- Lightning Bruiser: When using his winged-shoe mode.
- Mighty Glacier: When using his shield mode.
Will do anything to reach the top for his "important" goal. He matches his opinion always to the majority and acts more like you would expect people in a survival game to act.
- Small Name, Big Ego
- Smug Snake: Or cheap dirty bastard who makes it very easy for the audience to hate him.
- In-Series Nickname: Goby (Mudskipper).
A muscledman with devil wing who was said to have attacked anybody he could in the preliminaries, insinuating that he might be an incredibly dangerous fellow. His spear throwing is on par with Rak's.
A woman (presumably) who got drafted by one of Koon's cunning plans and therefore participated in the Crown Game. She uses a glove to throw balls that returns to her. Since she was among the Regulars who passed the 2nd floor, she helped the group support Rachel.
Rankers are people who have already climbed the tower, and are further split between normal Rankers and High Rankers, who acheived a high position even among them. In short, they are all pretty badass.
Yuri's guide and High Ranker, who gave Baam a high grade Pocket. He sees himself reflected in the young boy.
- Butt Monkey: Constantly suffers through Yuri's physical abuse.
- Chew Toy: Being Yuri's guide does not come without a price.
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl
- Hypercompetent Sidekick: He is ranked higher than Yuri.
- Tiny Guy, Huge Girl: While Yuri isn't as big as other examples, Evan is one of the smallest people to have appeared.
Father of Evan, butler of Repellista Zahard.
Trainer of the fishermen.
Ranker and exam supervisor, he takes care of the regulars on the second floor. He also trains the light bearers, and Koon confides in him. After the events of the Submerged Fish Hunt, he quits and goes to meet the Walhaiksong on the 77th floor.
- Friend on the Force: He does not like how Irregulars and deviants are sorted out from the climb and is Baam's and Koon's go-to-person.
- Nice Guy: Of all the Rankers, he is the most decent. Except for that one time he made clear that "those who are not worthy, should FUCK OFF!" (And even that can be seen as him being nice, since he's trying to save their lives.)
- Reasonable Authority Figure
- Spell My Name with an "S": The name changes from Leo-ro to Lero-Ro.
The Instructor of the Scouts with a temper as fiery as his hair and all the maturity of a elementary school kid, he is still a fierce and sharp-witted fighter. Also, he's the only black guy in this work.
- Fiery Redhead: That one is in full effect.
- Psychopathic Manchild: As psychopathic as some kids can be.
Lo Po Bia Ren
Actually introduced as Yuga, he seems to have taken that Wave Controller Instructor's guise (a sheeplike, horned costume that you wear like a ghost costume of bed sheets and a smile that looks like mustard on rice). He has multiple animals stored inside his body/suit and has the ability to control these animals, especially aquatic ones, like the Bull. Moreover, the youngest/newest member of the RED.
- Blood Knight
- Combat Sadomasochist: As seen in…
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: His release of murderous feelings… homicidal orgasm?
- The Faceless: We do not know what he truly looks like. Then again, You Don't Want to Know with Ren.
- In-Series Nickname: Rice Ball.
- Smug Snake
- Spell My Name with an "S": Len or Ren?
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing
- Dude Looks Like a Lady
- Rapunzel Hair: Nobody thought that the Director was a GUY.
- In-Series Nickname: Coffee Machine.
- Obstructive Bureaucrat
Technically not a Ranker anymore, but he was the first to reach the top and is now the Tower's ruler. He can grant others a vast amount of powers through his blood, as seen with Zahard's Princesses, outstanding female regulars, mostly from the 10 families, who get selected and adopted after a certain test. He is currently the third strongest in the tower.
- Blood Magic: Transfer of Power. Surprisingly not evil.
- Interspecies Adoption: Zahard's Princesses aren't related to him; they're all adoptive daughters. So far we know of two humans and a lizard-girl, though we have no context for what species Zahard is.
- Also, Androssi is not actually human. It isn't that obvious, but she has a tiny horn on her forehead.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Temporarily went from "Zahard" to "Jahad" and then back again in translation.
Grace Mircea Luslec
Feared as the absolute darkness of the Tower, he is the head of the religious sect and criminal order FUG, which opposes Zahard and at one point took in and tutored Baam.
Improbable Weapon: He, too, uses a Hook.
One of the warriors who accompanied Zahard during his conquest of the Tower, and founder of the noble Arie family. His Soubriquet White Sword refers to the White Oar, his sword that doesn't get hindered by dense Shinsoo.
Zahard's Daughters or rather, Zahard's Princesses are adopted females that have, through arduous exams, proven themselves worthy of receiving Zahard's blood, giving them more power. They represent Zahard. They are the only one's allowed to carry the name of Zahard. Following tropes go for each one of them:
- Amazon Brigade
- Action Girl, even Repellista kicks mental ass.
- Praetorian Guard
- Royals Who Actually Do Something
Mother of Anak.
A haughty, cynical self-centered woman who is probably the strongest of all Regulars in Baam's grade, sans Akryung, perhaps.
- The Big Guy: Small frame, butstronger than Rak.
- Cool Big Sis: She gradually grows a soft spot for Anak and Baam.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: She isn't a real Ice Queen, since she is rather outgoing, but she keeps her feelings to herself, views others as tools and steps over bodies to reach her goals. And then she meets Baam.
- Femme Fatale
- Large Ham: On occasion, especially when people aim attacks at her face.
"Your crime of attempting to kick the almighty Androssi's face is appalling! For that, I shall punish you!"
Arie Hagipherione Zahard
Arie Hon's daughter and wielder of the Red October.
- Daddy's Girl: It is said that the wish Arie Hon had to fulfill after she passed his test was very personal and childish.
The Hikkikomori Princess. Locked up in her Lighthouse, constantly over-seeing the flow of information of the tower. Yuri believes she is the only one who could find Baam, and she is apparently the only one who knows of the Prince of Zahard.
Eurasia Enne Zahard
Called the Great White Shark. She is known for two things: fighting Garam Zahard and disappearing with her, only to reappear as high rankers (she currently holds rank 7), and for going berserk along with her weapon, the Colorless December. As a result, Zahard had to seal her away.
A High ranker known as the Mako Shark in possession of one of the 13-month series, Indigo July. Currently in hiding from Zahard.
Koon Maria Zahard
Koon's younger half-sister, who due to his scheming, became a princess candidate or princess, at the cost of his family branches position. He found that the result left a big hole, even though he did it with the best intentions. He regarded her a pure being untainted by the intrigues in the noble families.
- Brother-Sister Incest: Rumor has it.
- Incorruptible Pure Pureness: To Koon at least.
- White-Haired Pretty Girl: If Koon counts, then so does she (both have light blue hair).
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: The tips of her hair are blue.
Koon Maschenny Zahard
Another Half-sister of Koon Aero Agnis. She is the owner of Yellow May and a very haughty, abrasive person. For that reason, she butts heads with Yuri quite often.
Former Zahard's princess and owner of one of the 13-month-series weapon, the Indigo July. Garam Zahard killed her and forcibly took the Indigo July sometime before the start of the series.
The first Princess to be introduced, she plants her foot in Baam's face and then lends him her powerful weapon because she felt the test was unfair and she was bored. Breaking the rules and following her own agenda is pretty much the standard for her. She's on good terms with most people she knows and socializes pretty easy. She drags Evan all over the Tower.
- Big Damn Heroes: Ren is so screwed.
- Covert Pervert: Everybody sees her as the great princess. Nobody knows she's totally into that cute, little naive boy who doesn't know what's happening around him.
- Comedic Sociopathy: Jumping in people's faces and throwing your friends down cliffs is not very nice, Lady Yuri.
- Charles Atlas Superpower: She is a member of the Ha family, who all possess incredibly powerful bodies.
- Dynamic Entry: Did this to Baam.
- Ensemble Darkhorse
- Finger-Poke of Doom
- Hot Chick with a Sword: Several swords. If the needles count.
- Nosebleed: Since Baam is a total hottie.
- Rebellious Princess: Screw the rules, she has whims!
- Savvy Guy, Energetic Girl: With Evan.
- Tomboy Princess
- Tomboy: A very elegant one, but still.
Beings that lived in the Tower long before it had been populated by Zahard and other races. Each Guardian is a supreme ruler of his own floor, and merely accepts the Rankers and Proctors as people doing their work for them. They are the ones who allow people to use Shinsoo on their floor.
A very freaky rabbit humanoid who is the guardian of the first floor. His job is the selection of Regulars, and introducing them to the rules of the tower as well as providing pockets. Which he didn't do with Baam. He doesn't like intruders, to say the least.
- Everythings Better With Bunnies: Ummm, partially? He chooses Regulars, so they can have a shot at wish fulfillment (and it seems that some kind of trauma is one of the criteria), but he really didn't make it comfortable or easy for Baam.
- Bizarre Alien Biology: His eyes are in his mouth…
- Chekhov's Gunman: He is far more important than he at first seems.
Second Floor Guardian
A big eel with a serrated beak. Slightly less creepy than Headon. He's the guardian of the second floor, also known as Evankell's Hell. Thinks Baam looks very tasty.
- We Will Meet Again: And so they did.
13 Month Series
A series of Empathic Weapons forged by a master blacksmith, given to chosen Princesses of Zahard. They can range from Cool Swords to Improbable Weapons, but all are very powerful. The Theme Naming is made up of colours and english months.
Originally given to Yuri Zahard, it changed owners when she decided to help Baam with his first test. It is a sleek black needle (a stabbing tool) with a self-confident, hedonistic attitude. She did not even talk to Yuri because they were alike, but heeds Baam's call, because he is cute. Later, she is taken by Anak as a wager and used by Androssi in the fight against Ren.
Anak's sword -Actually her mother's- which is more a green hook that expands and can split into several hooks at the hilt. It is never seen talking, but it seems to be insane and/or blood thirsty.
- Evil Aura: Emanates that whenever it ignites.
- Improbable Weapon: A hook?
- Morph Weapon
- Slasher Smile: One of the few things we see it do.
Held by Koon Maschenny Zahard.
Originally Uram Zahard's weapon, but it got taken by her sister Garam after she was killed by her.
Garam Zahard's Weapon.
Arie Hagipherione Zahard's weapon.
The only weapon known to have gone berserk with it's owner, Eurasia Enne Zahard. For better or worse, they got sealed away.
Rainbow Thirteenth Month
A huge, mysterious hulking monster of unknown origin; he kept Rak in check during the Crown Game, immediately passed the Spear Bearer's exam, and slaughtered everybody except Rachel and Androssi in the preliminaries. He was 'prepared' by Headon to assist Rachel, according to Yu Han-Sung, although what that means - whether he's actually taking the test, or, for that matter, whether he's actually alive - is unknown.
- Big Guy
- Blood Knight
- He Who Must Not Be Heard: It's unclear if he can speak at all, though he does have an incredibly creepy laugh.
- ↑ yes, this pisses Yuri off quite a bit