Don the Host
The host of The Ridonculous Race. Though often uncaring of the contestants' safety and more than a little narcissistic, Don does actually care about following the rules and doesn't hesitate to hand out penalties to those who break them.
- Butt Monkey: Let's just say that being the host doesn't make Don immune to misfortune.
- Meaningful Name: His name is Don, and he's the host of the Ridonculous Race.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: Of Phil Keoghan.
- Screams Like a Little Girl: After a crab pulls on his Speedo.
Devin and Carrie, Best Friends
Two very close friends who do everything together. Though Carrie may want a bit more than friendship from Devin, he remains oblivious to it.
Kelly and Taylor, Mother and Daughter
A pair of rich socialites. Kelly enjoys being the "cool mom" and spoils her daughter rotten. Taylor walks all over her in return and rarely has a good word to say about her put-upon parent.
- Alpha Bitch: Taylor has all the markings of one, even though she lacks followers to boss around, save for her mother.
- Bitch Alert: Taylor is the first character to show disrespect towards her own mother, a line which even Heather and Amy have never crossed.
- Expy: They seem to be based on Regina George and her mother.
- Spoiled Brat: Taylor, who was spoiled by Kelly as a child.
Emma and Kitty, Sisters
Two sisters who are like chalk and cheese. Kitty is fun loving, sometimes a little scatter-brained and in the race for a good time. Emma on the other hand wants to win and looks down on anything that could be considered frivolous.
- Almost Kiss: Emma and Noah. She gives him one for real after his elimination.
- The Cutie: Kitty is bubbly and cheerful.
- Genki Girl: Kitty is quite upbeat and tries to look on the bright-side of grave situations.
- Girlish Pigtails: Kitty, to signify that she's the younger and more carefree sister.
- Hair Decorations: Kitty uses red ribbons to tie up her girlish pigtails.
- Sibling Team: An older and younger sister pairing.
Crimson and Ennui, Goths
Two goths of few words. Though they show little emotion and greet the world with permanent deadpan stares, they're not bad people inside.
- Badass Adorable: Loki, who contributes just as much as Crimson and Ennui.
- Bare Your Midriff: A rare male example with Ennui.
- Beta Couple: They are this to all the couples of this series.
- Beware the Quiet Ones: This trait keeps them under everyone else's radar for the majority of the race.
- Chastity Couple: They hold hands in the Arctic challenge, but that's about it.
- Collared by Fashion: Ennui wears a spiked dog collar similar to Duncan's while Crimson wears a red choker.
- The Comically Serious: When contrasted with the other, more expressive teams.
- Dramatic Thunder: During their introduction.
- First Love: Considering they started dating when they were only fourteen, this is very likely.
- Friend to All Living Things: Adorable animals love Ennui, much to his disgust.
- Goths: They seem to be more of the Emo variant, as opposed to Gwen's Perky Goth personality.
- Guyliner: Ennui, as part of his gothic makeup.
- Holding Hands: They do this in episode 17, during a confessional. It's adorable.
- Leitmotif: Dark, creepy music.
- Opera Gloves: Crimson wears a red pair with her outfit.
- Perpetual Frowner: Their default expression is an indifferent stare.
- Psychic Link: Ennui shares one with his pet bunny, Loki.
Owen and Noah, Reality TV Pros
For their first on Total Drama, see their entries on Total Drama Screaming Gophers.
Mickey and Jay, Adversity Twins
Twins with all the bad luck in the world. No one who knew them believed they'd even last an hour in the race but they entered anyway. Maybe they're not as pitiful as they seem?
- Always Identical Twins: Which is probably why they share the same illnesses and misfortunes.
- Butt Monkey: With a label like the "Adversity Twins", it's a given. They're easily pushed around by stronger, mean teams like Taylor or the Ice Dancers.
- The Chew Toy: Rarely an episode goes by without something unfortunate happening to them.
- Iron Butt Monkey: They get hurt so often, they think they're the next closest thing to being cursed.
- Leitmotif: A sad violin tune.
- Nice Hat: Mickey's helmet/head-gear thing.
- Sibling Team: Consisting of identical twin brothers.
Stephanie and Ryan, Daters
A loved up couple that met at the gym and have been attached to each other ever since.
Josee and Jacques, Ice Dancers
Silver medalist Olympians who entered the Ridonculous Race to help salvage their reputations after Jacques dropped Josee during their performance and the two became national embarrassments. Wickedly devious, wickedly capable and sometimes just plain wicked, they'll do anything to win.
- Achilles' Heel: Josee's one weakness is that she is extremely claustrophobic.
- Ambiguously Gay: Jacques is a figure skater with a flamboyant effeminate manner, and Screams Like a Little Girl. He's neither Camp Gay nor Camp Straight because his sexual orientation is never stated or even hinted at. Gay or straight, his relationship with racing partner Josee is implied to be primarily or purely professional.
- French Jerk: French-Canadian actually; however, both of them are rude, arrogant, ad ill-tempered towards the other contestants.
- Jerk Jock: Josee more than Jacques.
- Leitmotif: Triumphant trumpet music plays during the their confessionals or when they perform well in challenges.
- Light Is Not Good: Despite the pink outfits and constant smiles, both are ruthless competitors, Josee more than Jacques.
- Stepford Smiler: Josee, who seems to be Type 3.
- Twitchy Eye: Josee, any time she comes in anything worse than first place.
Geoff and Brody, Surfer Dudes
While Geoff has experience with reality shows from his time on Total Drama, Brody is new to this and so sometimes relies on his buddy to guide him. Both love surfing, chilling and being the best of friends.
See Total Drama Killer Bass for tropes specific to Geoff during his time on Total Drama.
- Amusing Injuries: Brody is a living magnet for this, unlike Geoff.
- Big Eater: Both of them easily finish their pork 'n beans first in "Little Bull on the Prairie".
- Camp Straight: Geoff and Brody are not ashamed of doing non-masculine activities. Combine with the fact that Geoff loves cooking as shown in his time on Total Drama, Geoff and Brody both wear pink, and a lot of Ho Yay went on between them during the race. However, Geoff states that he is currently dating Bridgette and initially planned on taking her to the race and Brody developed a crush on MacArthur.
- Keet: They're enthusiastic about pretty much everything.
- Lovable Jocks: Geoff & Brody are very affable guys.
- Meaningful Name: How fitting is it that a guy named Brody shares such a close bromance with Geoff?
Dwayne and Junior, Father and Son
Bumbling dad Dwayne and his often exasperated son Dwayne Jr. are in the race both to win and to score some bonding time together. Dwayne means well but is cursed with bad luck and his own air-headed moments. It's often his son, who despite being the youngest contestant is more than wise beyond his years, helping him out of whatever muddle he's fallen in to.
- Butt Monkey: Dwayne, who is extremely disliked in-universe, due to his horrid luck and lack of tact.
- Expy: Dwayne is based on Clark Griswold.
- Face Palm: Junior frequently does this in response to his father's antics.
- Iron Butt Monkey: Dwayne gets injured almost every episode, but so far hasn't taken any lasting damage.
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: Junior's appearance is reminiscent of Justin Bieber.
Sanders and MacArthur, Police Cadets
A pair of Action Girl trainee cops who are as different as night and day but still manage to work well together. While MacArthur is hot-blooded, hot-headed and fiercely driven, Sanders is much calmer and acts as the team's conscience and voice of reason.
- Acrofatic: MacArthur is really agile despite her size.
- Action Girl: Both of them.
- Black Best Friend: Sanders to MacArthur. Unlike most of the other teams, they were already partners well before the race.
- Blush Stickers: MacArthur has the non-romantic variant.
- Boyish Short Hair: Sanders
- Brains and Brawn: Sanders is the brains to MacArthur's brawn.
- Contralto of Danger: Both women.
- Deadpan Snarker: Sanders, although it's mostly just directed at MacArthur.
- Expy: Of Melissa McCarthy and Sandra Bullock's characters from The Heat.
- Fat and Skinny: MacArthur and Sanders, respectively.
- Fat Bastard: MacArthur is this to an extent.
- Good Is Not Nice: MacArthur is a perfect example, as part of her "bad cop" shtick.
- Jerk Jock: Downplayed, MacArthur can come off as rude and mean due to her competitive nature, but deep down she still has a code of honor.
- The Lad-ette: MacArthur takes farting seriously and generally gets along with mostly males.
- Salt and Pepper: MacArthur is the Salt to Sander's Pepper.
- Tomboyish Baseball Cap: MacArthur always wear one and she is the more Masculine of the two girls.
- Tomboyish Ponytail: MacArthur
- Tsundere: MacArthur can switch from jolly to aggressive at a moment's notice.
- Youthful Freckles: Sanders has them.
Chet and Lorenzo, Stepbrothers
- Voiced by: Darren Frost (Chet) & Carlos Díaz (Lorenzo)
Two stepbrothers who loathe each other more than anything else. Their newly married parents entered them in the race in the hopes it would help them get along.
- Acrofatic: Chet, thanks to his gymnastics classes.
- Adorkable: They show shades of this after they become friends.
- Ambiguously Brown: Lorenzo. Word of God says he's Italian.
- Arch-Enemy: An interesting case in that they're each other's archenemies at least until they learn to get along after finding common ground.
- Berserk Button: Chet got angry and attacked Lorenzo when the latter called the former's mom and his own father jerks for forcing the two teens to go on the show together.
- Big, Stupid Doodoo-Head: Their insults towards one another are very immature, one of which is Chet calling Lorenzo a "poo head".
- Book Dumb: Blatantly obvious when they can't tell the difference between an albino rabbit (after seeing a photo of it) and a kangaroo.
- Butt Monkey: Not as much as Dwayne or Brody, but they're still pretty unlucky.
- Commonality Connection: It's obvious to everyone else that they're both geeky Man Children, but they only realize how many interests they share after getting locked in a cell together forces them to actually talk to each other instead of just volleying insults.
- A Day in the Limelight: "Shawshank Ridonc-tion" and "Down and Outback" feature the Stepbrothers more extensively as they reconcile and go from worst enemies to best friends.
- A Death in the Limelight: Prior to their eliminations, their screen time is vastly extended in the last two episodes they're in.
- Earn Your Happy Ending: They get eliminated in "Down and Outback", but by then they've become best friends, which was what their parents hoped them entering the race would achieve.
- Enemy Mine: They're initially bitter enemies who have been forced to work together against their will by their parents. During the early episodes they're more focused on insulting or fighting rather than partaking in the game, and it's a wonder how they managed to get the complete all the challenges. This changes in "Shawshank Ridonc-tion" where they finally discover they share the same interests, come up with the same ideas, and finally learn to work together.
- Expy: Of Brennan Huff and Dale Doback, albeit much younger.
- Fat and Skinny: Chet is the fat to Lorenzo's skinny.
- Fan Disservice: Chet wears a coconut bra in Hawaii; he likely did it just to troll Lorenzo.
- Flat Characters: They do nothing except fight and yell at each other. By the time they make up and show off more character traits, they end up eliminated.
- Geek: They're both obsessed with video games, which is one of the factors that allow them to have their Earn Your Happy Ending moment.
- Jerkass: They're mean and rude, even to other teams.
- Mama's Boy: Chet; insulting his mother is one of his major Berkserk Buttons.
- Not So Different: In "Shawshank Ridonc-tion" they discover that they have similar interests and become friends.
- Odd Friendship: They befriend the friendlier and more laid-back Rockers while both teams are walking home after their double-elimination in "Down and Outback".
- Satellite Characters: Both of them have virtually no purpose other than to bicker and fight with each other, aside from the occasional one-time conversation with another character, or hanging with the Rockers in their elimination episode.
- Shout-Out: The design of Chet's shirt resembles Avenged Sevenfold's Skull Bat logo.
- Sibling Rivalry: Step-sibling in this case.
- Sibling Team: Or rather, a step-sibling team.
- The Slacker: Both of them.
- Small Name, Big Ego: According to Word of God, Lorenzo has no skills or abilities to match his attitude.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: While all of the other teams can get along to some degree, they absolutely hate each other. However, in Australia, they eventually learn to get along.
- Troll: They do this to one another until they learn to get along.
- Tsundere: When things go right because they worked together (between insults), they can't bring themselves to accept the truth.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: They become this by the time of "Shawshank Ridonc-tion", where they find out they're not so different after all and finally learn to get along.
- Volleying Insults: Pretty much any conversation they have consists of this before they learn to get along.
Tom and Jen, Fashion Bloggers
Flamboyant fashion bloggers who love to look good and start new trends.
- Ambiguously Brown: Jen, although she could just be tanned.
- Author Avatar: For the creators of Total Drama; Tom McGillis and Jennifer Pertsch.
- Ambiguously Gay: Tom likes fashion and shopping to the point where he makes his living as a fashion vlogger, and has an effeminate voice. Although he is based on the show's openly gay co-creator, Tom McGillis, his sexual orientation is never stated or even hinted at in the show, so he is neither Camp Gay nor Camp Straight. Gay or straight, his relationship with racing partner Jen is implied to be primarily or purely professional.
Rock and Spud, Rockers
- Voiced by: Carlos Díaz (Rock) & Carter Hayden (Spud)
A pair of rather dimwitted rockers who share a strong friendship, to the extent where Rock is usually the only one who can get Spud to react to outside stimuli at all.
- Air Guitar:
- Rock often does this whenever they successfully complete a challenge.
- Spud's air guitar skills lands them first place in "I Love Ridonc & Roll".
- Basement-Dweller: Although they don't match the stereotype, they literally live in their parents' basements.
- Berserk Button: Spud's laziness and incompetence could really get under Rock's skin sometimes. It inspired more frustration than outright anger, though.
- Big Eater: Spud's mom describes him as a "light eater" - when the light comes on, he starts eating.
- Buffy Speak: Rock talks like this a lot, often using sound effects to describe his feelings at the moment.
- Character Development: After losing a non-elimination leg, Spud realizes that he can't just put all the responsibility on Rock's shoulders and starts trying to be a better partner.
- Character Tic: Rock strums an Air Guitar every time he completes a challenge.
- Chekhov's Skill: Their air guitar skills earned them first place in Finland.
- Cool Pet: Spud has a pet snake.
- Diabolus ex Machina: The double elimination that sent them home wasn't announced until after they had reached the Chill Zone and narrowly avoided last place.
- Delayed Reaction: Rock is able to take full advantage of Spud's dimwittedness, as he knows exactly when pain will register.
- In "Brazilian Pain Forest", his hand gets bitten by several ants, and it takes him over two hours to realize the pain.
- Things become difficult for them in Finland, when Spud gets bitten by a seal while trying to cross an ice floe. The pain registered right as he was trapped in the middle of the water.
- In a non-painful example, Spud only screams in terror after the Daters stop after nearly crashing into his and Rock's jeep.
- In the Rockers' confessional afterwards, Rock compliments Spud on his reaction time improving, and then is seen waiting a long time for Spud to reply. Spud eventually does after Rock's walked around the confessional booth, read part of a book, and drank half a glass of water.
- In "Down and Outback", Spud screams in terror that they're going to hit a mountain after their glider crashed into said mountain.
- Determinator: Rock practically ran the first third of the race on his own because Spud was too lazy to help out. It's taken to extremes in "Down and Outback", where Rock injures both his ankles and then proceeds to continue the challenge by dragging himself along the ground.
- Expy: They're based off Jay and Silent Bob, particularly early on in the season where Spud rarely talked.
- Fat and Skinny: Rock is the Skinny to Spud's Fat.
- Keet: Rock most of the time, and Spud when motivated or dared.
- Leitmotif: A guitar riff followed by a drum solo.
- Metal Heads: They front their garage band, Devil Frog.
- Odd Friendship: Chet & Lorenzo invite them over for video games after their double-elimination in "Down and Outback".
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Spud's real name is not known.
- The Quiet One: In the earlier episodes, Spud almost never spoke, and when he did it was usually a word at a time. Later episodes would let him speak more, albeit not as much as Rock.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Rock is the red, Spud is the blue.
- Screams Like a Little Girl: Spud gives off a high pitched shriek when a seal bites on his head.
- Simpleton Voice: Spud speaks as fast as he thinks... slowly.
- Smarter Than You Look: Rock, according to the official reveal.
- So Proud of You: After their elimination, Rock talks about how proud he is of Spud for making it as far as they did in the race.
- Standalone Episode: They went through most of their run without interacting with any of the other characters. The only time they did interact with others was in their final episode where they both interacted with the Stepbrothers and Spud briefly interacted with Carrie.
- Static Characters: By the end of their run, they'd only received the barest minimum of development (Rock becoming more focused and Spud being more willing to help). Otherwise, they're still the same basic characters as they were when the show started.
- Super Strength: Spud is strong enough to knock a tree over by leaning on it.
- Swapped Roles: Rock gets injured early in "Down and Outback", forcing Spud to carry the team after spending most of the season being carried by Rock.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: "I Wanna Ridonc and Roll", their only leg win.
- Took a Level in Kindness: While Spud was never an outright Jerkass, he was very lazy and uncaring, even refusing to help in Iceland when Rock was begging him for assistance. Once his Character Development kicked in, he became a lot more friendly in addition to being more willing to help.
Laurie and Miles, Vegans
Two vegans and animal rights activists who want to win so they can donate their prize money to various charities.
- Author Avatar: Of writers Laurie Elliot and Miles Smith.
- Bare Your Midriff: Laurie, who wears a crop t-shirt.
- Eye Glasses: Mile's eyes take up her whole glasses, even when overlapping outside her head.
- Friend to All Living Things: They love animals and nature. They have dedicated themselves to conservation of all wildlife, though sharks now off their list.
- Granola Girl: Don called them granola-loving hippy-dippy friends. In Morocco alone, they didn't ride the camel and chose to bike the scooter.
- Meganekko: Miles.
- Nice Hat: Laurie's rastacap.
- Skirt over Slacks: Miles wears bluejeans under her dress.
- Tomboyish Name: Miles.
- Youthful Freckles: Both of them.
Mary and Ellody, Geniuses
Genius women who hope to use their high intellects to win the competition.
- Ambiguously Brown: Ellody. Word of God says she's Indian.
- Annoying Laugh: In typical nerd fashion, they both snort when they laugh.
- Eye Glasses: Played straight with Mary; averted with Ellody.
- Gag Nose: Mary has a long pointed nose, much like Harold's from the original Total Drama series.
- Graceful Loser: They aren't disheartened by their elimination at all. Ellody even cracks a self-deprecating joke about it.
- Leitmotif: A chiptune theme.
- Meganekko: Both, but Ellody is the better example.
- Nerd Glasses: To signifying their intelligence.
- Teen Genius: They're literally labelled the "Geniuses".
Leonard and Tammy, LARPers
LARPers with a very loose grip on reality. They believe fantasy is real and won't hear anything against this delusional.
See Total Drama Waneyihtam Maskwak for tropes specific to Leonard during his time on Total Drama.
- Fat and Skinny: Tammy is the fat to Leonard's Skinny.
Gerry and Pete, Tennis Rivals
Two aging former tennis stars who hope to use their appearance in the race to score some new sponsorship and merchandising deals. They have a "friendly" rivalry and are always snarking at the other then laughing about it together.