The Loop (TV)
Do you like this video?
|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
- Discredited Meme: At Top Gun today, anyone on staff who quotes or references this movie gets fined $5.
- Anyone caught singing "Danger Zone" while piloting a Tomcat, supposedly, is considered a hostile.
- Ear Worm: "Danger Zone," of course.
- It's also Awesome Music
- Memetic Mutation: "I feel the need... The need for speed!"
- "Tower, this is Ghost Rider requesting a flyby?" "Negative, Ghost Rider. The pattern is full."
- The Problem with Licensed Games: Mixed.
- Played straight with Top Gun: Hornet's Nest, which got very bad reviews.
- And of course the original NES game, a notoriously dull and still Nintendo Hard mess.
- The recently released iPhone game from Freeverse averts it. It's a pretty good After Burner clone that wears the license well.
- A release titled Top Gun: Combat Zones for the Play Station 2 and Game Cube had the misfortune of having to compete with Ace Combat 04 Shattered Skies, but was just a Dolled-Up Installment with the only similarity to the movie being the F-14 Tomcat.
- Tear Jerker: The death of Goose.
- Values Dissonance: Although the movie is today mostly enjoyed ironically for its (arguably) unintentional Ho Yay, when it was first released in the U.S. it was wildly successful. In Japan, however, it was almost immediately branded a "gay" movie for those very reasons and is rarely viewed as anything else even today, possibly due to the choice of voice actors.
- Maddox didn't help much with his Top Gun article.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.