|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
A comedic Girls Love manga by Banana Nangoku. On what was supposed to be her first day of high school, Arare somehow finds herself in a different dimension and ends up at an all-girls boarding school -- for Youkai. There, Arare tries to adjust to her new life, befriending youkai Kiri and Pero, while trying to keep her identity as a human hidden.
The Manga contains examples of:
- All-Ghouls School: Based upon Japanese mythology.
- Art Imitates Art: Arare does her best Botticelli impression
- Attempted Rape: Despite desiring to help Arare, the demon Akina gives into her instincts and attacks her.
- Beach Episode: Chapter 5.
- Belly Buttonless: Yokai lack bellybuttons, so Arare has to hide hers to keep from being found out.
- The Blank: There is a girl nopperabou, a creature without a face. Amusingly, she wants Arare to give her a Visual Kei makeup.
- Catgirl: Kiri, who is a nekomata.
- Chekhov's Gun: Arare's strength in ripping fabrics which in the final chapter lets her rip the very fabric of space-time, making a permanent passage between human and youkai worlds.
- Consummate Liar: Akina is forced to be one by her instincts.
- Cute Monster Girl
- There are also examples of Grotesque Cute monster girls, such as the Karakasa (umbrella spirit) girls.
- Down the Rabbit Hole
- Ecchi: To the point of being almost borderline hentai at times.
- To the point a human and a youkai kissing "with their lower mouths" is a plot point.
- Emergency Transformation: Played With and Subverted Arare tries to become a Youkai while in the human world so that she'll become deathly ill so Kiri, who's currently dying for being in the human world herself, will save her as she always does, saving herself in the process. Kiri immediately points out that it makes no sense.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Translated title is "Heart-Pounding Excitement at Mononoke Girls' Academy".
- Gag Boobs: Harami. Well, she is a kudan, or cow person...
- I'm a Humanitarian: When asked what they would do if they saw a human, many of the Youkai say they would eat it.
- Incurable Cough of Death: If a youkai who's not strong enough goes to the human world, the air there will cause their lungs to corrupt, making them cough blood and then die in a matter of days.
- Lucky Charms Title: Tokimeki ☆ Mononoke Jogakkou
- Playing to The Fetishes
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: And Green Oni too, but just in terms of physical appearance. They have names based upon their skin color.
- Schoolgirl Lesbians
- Seashell Bra: More like Seashell Bikini Bottom, when Arare rips off the bottom of her bikini while trying to cover her bellybutton and has to find a replacement.
- Shout-Out: When Arare first meets the Oni girls, she thinks they're just like Lum-chan.
- Situational Sexuality Subverted in the ending.
- Smashing Watermelons: Chapter 5's cover page.
- Stranger in a Strange School
- Supernaturally Delicious and Nutritious: Almost every youkai wants to eat Arare.
- Teacher-Student Romance: It is stated in one Omake that Ms. Rokurokubi has an affair with one of her students, the yuki-onna (snow woman). There are lines even youkai won't cross.
- One Teacher School; Are there any others besides Ms. Rokurokubi?
- Viral Transformation: A human and youkai kissing with their lower mouth causes the human to turn into that kind of youkai.
- ↑ Yokai