|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Late Seventies, early Eighties Britcom. Upperclass Twit Audrey fforbes-Hamilton is forced to sell Grantleigh Manor, the Big Fancy House which has been in her family for countless generations. To her horror, the historic estate is bought by Richard DeVere, a nouveau riche supermarket magnate. To make sure he doesn't make a mess of things, she moves into a lodge in the front yard.
Came twenty-first in Britains Best Sitcom.
- Big Fancy House (Grantleigh Manor)
- Defrosting Ice Queen (Audrey)
- Fallen Princess (Audrey, kind of)
- Ice Cream Koan (Mrs Poo's 'old Czechoslovakian' sayings)
- Most are of the less obscure variety.
- Impoverished Patrician (Audrey)
- Kissing Cousins (Audrey's late husband, who died pre-series, was also her cousin)
- Last-Minute Hookup
- National Health Service
- Not Even Bothering with the Accent (Justified: Richard is Eastern European and his real name is Bedrich Polouvicki, but he came to Britain as a child in 1939.)
- Pre-Approved Sermon
- Pun-Based Title (on "to the manner born")
- Road Sign Reversal
- Upperclass Twit (Audrey)
- The Vicar (The Rector)
- Video Inside Film Outside
- Well Intentioned Replacement (the honey)