|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
While on holiday in the French Alps, Tintin reads about a plane crash in the Gosain Than Massif in the Himalayas. That evening at their hotel, Tintin has a vivid dream that his friend Chang Chong-Chen is terribly hurt and calling for help from the snowy ruins of a plane crash. The next morning, Tintin reads in the paper that Chang was aboard the plane that crashed in Tibet. Believing that his dream was a telepathic vision, Tintin flies to Kathmandu in Nepal with Snowy, followed by a skeptical Captain Haddock. They hire a sherpa named Tharkey, and, accompanied by some porters, travel overland from Nepal to the crash site in Tibet.
Upon entering Tibet, they discover footprints in the snow that Tharkey claims belong to the yeti. The porters abandon the group in fear, and Tintin, Haddock and Tharkey go on and eventually reach the crash site. Tintin sets off with Snowy to try to trace Chang's steps, and find a cave in which Chang carved his name (張仲仁) on a rock, proving that he survived the crash.
Tharkey decides not to go on any further, believing Chang to be dead, but Tintin, Snowy and Haddock travel on after Tintin spots a scarf higher up on a cliff face. Following Tintin, Haddock loses his grip and hangs perilously down the cliff wall. He tells Tintin to cut the rope tying them together to save himself, but Tintin refuses. Tharkey, who had had a changed of heart moved by Tintin's selflessness, returns just in time to save them. They trek onwards, unable to sleep lest they freeze, and eventually arrive within sight of the Buddhist monastery of Khor-Biyong before collapsing due to exhaustion. An avalanche occurs, and they are buried in the snow.
Blessed Lightning, a monk at the monastery, 'sees' in a vision Tintin, Snowy, Haddock and Tharkey in peril. Up in the mountains, Tintin regains consciousness and, unable to reach the monastery himself, writes a note and gives it to Snowy to deliver. and runs to the monastery to make someone follow him. The monks head after him as he is recognised as the white dog in Blessed Lightning's vision.
Days later, Tintin, Haddock and Tharkey awaken in the monastery and receive an audience with the monks. After Tintin tells the Grand Abbot why they are there, the Abbot tells him to abandon his quest and return to his country. However, Blessed Lightning has another vision, through which Tintin learns that Chang is still alive inside a mountain cave, but that the "migou", or yeti, is also there. Haddock doesn't believe the vision is genuine, but Tintin, after being given directions by the Abbot, travels to Charabang, a small village near the Horn of the Yak, the mountain mentioned by Blessed Lightning. Haddock initially refuses to follow Tintin anymore, but once again changes his mind and pursues him to Charabang. The two of them and Snowy head to the Horn of the Yak on the final lap of their journey.
They wait outside until they see the yeti leave the cave. Tintin ventures inside and finally finds Chang, who is feverish and shaking. The yeti returns to the cave before Haddock can warn Tintin, and he reacts with anger upon seeing Tintin taking Chang away. As he reaches toward Tintin however, he sets off the flash bulb of Tintin's dropped camera, which scares him away. Tintin and Haddock carry Chang back to the village of Charabang, and he explains to them that the yeti saved him after the crash and took him away from the rescue parties.
Tintin, the Captain, and Snowy bring Chang back to Khor-Biyong, and after a week, when Chang has recovered, they return to Nepal by caravan. As their party travels away from the monastery, Chang muses that the yeti is no wild animal, but instead has a human soul, while the yeti sadly watches their departure from a distance.
- Bigfoot, Sasquatch, and Yeti: A yeti serves as a major character of this album. He befriends Tintin's friend Chang after a tragic airplane accident in the Himalayas. The same accident which prompts Tintin to Send in the Search Team.
- Boring Return Journey: Most of the album covers an epic journey through the Himalayas. The end of the album has the rescue group making their way back to a secluded monastery in Tibet. The return journey is never depicted.
- A Boy and His X: Chang and his yeti.
- A Crack in the Ice: Tintin falls into a crevasse during a blinding snowstorm. He climbs his way out two hours later, after having found in the ice cave below a stone on which Chang had carved his name.
- Cut the Safety Rope: Captain Haddock attempts this, but drops his pocket knife. Tharkey, who has walked out, catches up to Haddock and Tintin and makes his presence known, before saving them off-page.
- Determinator - Tintin himself in his quest to rescue Chang Chong-Chen. He inspires Haddock not to give up, which in turn inspires Haddock to encourage Tintin to do the same the one time he does almost give up.
- Dream Sequence: Haddock dreams he meets Professor Calculus, who claims he has lost his umbrella. Haddock then tells him he has got a lot of umbrellas with him, but has no idea where they came from. Calculus is angered by his answer and tells him: "You lie! It's red pepper." Then Haddock suddenly wears Calculus' clothes, while Calculus wears those of Haddock. Now grown to enormous size Calculus hits Haddock on the head with an umbrella, claiming its "Checkmate!"
- Empathy Doll Shot: Tintin finds a teddy bear near a plane wreck in the mountains.
- Everything's Better with Cows: Captain Haddock tries to step over a sacred cow. The cow gives him an unasked-for ride.
- Hair-Trigger Avalanche: Played for Drama and Laughs throughout the story.
- Levitating Lotus Position: Averted. A monk levitates involuntarily, as he's uttering a prophetic warning (and doesn't remember anything afterwards, including levitating) -- but does so while standing upright.
- Post Script Season: According to Hergé, the series concluded with this album and the works afterwords were basically this. However; they actually were well received.
- Send in the Search Team: This forms the basic plot. Tintin and Haddock strive to locate and rescue the missing Chang Chong-Chen, following a plane crash. They are not even sure Chang is still alive. Chang turns out to have been cared for by the Yeti.
- Sneeze of Doom: Haddock has one, causing the destruction of Tharkey's overcrowded tent.