|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic • Source • Setting|
A bunch of heads of deceased historical figures gather to discuss their thoughts on life, have crazy misadventures, and just generally get into hijinks. Abraham Lincoln serves as the strip's protagonist and serves up most of the topics and philosophy such as “Batman is not gay”, “The goal of all relationships is to get maximum smooches”, and ““NEVER POOP INTO THE WIND”
Lincoln is joined by a plethora of other characters, some are contemporaries of his time, others are also former presidents, some are simply historical figures of note, some are aquatic gods created just for the comic. A partial list can be found here.
There’s little in the way of plot and most comics are devoted to Lincoln’s observations on life, which don’t necessarily come off as “well thought out.” The other characters tend to take turns being his Foil by pointing out the flaws in thinking or just by being more knowledgeable than Lincoln. This never stops him from “Thinkin’” as it were…
Nevertheless, the occasional story arc and developments do come up and there are a few official couples in the comic. There have been deaths, though as Lincoln puts it “I guess they ARE dead, but they were like that when I found them!” after the two murdered characters are show happily greeting the reader in the panel before. Definitely a comic where Rule of Funny rules supreme with a little help from its friend, Rule of Cool.
- Author Avatar: Just for a small arc, he was first summoned by Freud in this comic.
- A Wizard Did It: Freud figures out all the bizarre happenstance that occurs in the character’s world is the result of the author.
- Alt Text
- Awesome but Impractical: These two guns. Also, Abe suggests that scorpions and “gross old milk” should have been used in catapults .
- Badass: Ernest Shackleton
- Beta Couple: Charles Darwin and Amelia Earhart
- Breaking the Fourth Wall : Lampshaded here
- Cloudcuckoolander: Almost everyone has their moments, but Lincoln is the best example of this.
- Crazy Homeless People: Emperor Norton. He's a hobo and also the first emperor if the United States.
- Cut and Paste Comic: Though there’s plenty of different expressions used.
- Everything's Deader with Zombies: Mark Twain is a zombie for some reason.
- Golden Mean Fallacy: Abe tries to find some middle ground.
- Jerkass: George Washington a great deal of the time.
- Mary Sue: Lampshaded In-Universe. See Author Avatar above
- Nerds Are Sexy: Amelia likes Charles because of how smart he is
- Official Couple: Abe and Martha Washington. Yes, George Washington’s wife.
- Schedule Slip: The series used to be updated quite frequently, but then got changed to a one a week schedule. Sadly, it is now on “indefinite hiatus” after the death of the author’s father.
- Talking Heads: Somewhat literal interpretation, but the reliance on dialogue in the comic is a pretty “played straight” example. Subverted at times when some story arcs add some action.