|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Thermae Romae (Latin for "Roman baths") is the manga and anime story of a 2nd century Roman architect named Lucius, who designs baths. He gets transported to 21st century Japan, learns about their bath and toilet technology, and brings these modern ideas back to his time.
A live-action movie adaptation will be released in April 2012.
This work provides examples of:
- Alternate DVD Commentary: Of the anime, done by Chip and Ironicus during their Let's Play of No More Heroes 2 Desperate Struggle.
- Anachronism Stew
- Ancient Rome
- Fish Out of Temporal Water: Or rather Roman out of the Roman Empire
- Furo Scene: including the Roman equivalent.
- Gratuitous Latin: averted -- Lucius mostly speaks in Japanese, though that probably represents his Latin in a way that the audience will understand. In addition, he uses the Classical pronunciation when he does speak Latin.
- Hot Springs Episode: with Mount Vesuvius substituting for Mount Fuji in providing the hot water for the outdoors bath.
- Limited Animation: The animation in the anime consists largely of manipulation of and pans across still frames with only the lips moving.
- The Roman Empire: the emperor Hadrian appearing in episode 4 of the anime.
- Translation Convention: Lucius (and all other Romans) speak in Japanese, and "think" in Japanese as well. The only time a Roman speaks in Latin is when Lucius is in Japan and trying to communicate with the Japanese.