|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
The (Self-Proclaimed) World's Greatest Tag Team is a professional wrestling tag team consisting of Shelton Benjamin and Charlie Haas. The Duo debuted near the end of 2002 in World Wrestling Entertainment as part of Kurt Angle's new faction, Team Angle. Both sharing amateur wrestling backgrounds, the duo proved to be a highly successful performers in the ring. More impressively, they debuted during a period where popular tag teams such as Edge & Christian and The Hardy Boyz were no longer together, so TWGTT helped to fill the void in the tag team scene. Unfortunately, the duo split up in 2004 after Benjamin was traded to the Raw brand. While Benjamin would go on to have a relatively successful singles career, Haas was lost in the shuffle in was briefly released in 2005 before returning to the company the following year. In 2006, the duo reformed their tag team again before they were eventually split up, again. The two were both released from their contracts in 2010, and can both be found tag teaming once more, in Ring of Honor.
Tropes associated with The World's Greatest Tag Team include:
- And the Fandom Rejoiced: Their reunion in 2006, later the two joining Ring of Honor, and finally them winning ROH's tag titles in their rematch against the Kings Of Wrestling.
- Badass Boast: Their name says it all.
- Bash Brothers
- Black Best Friend: Shelton, to Charlie.
- Boisterous Bruiser
- Breakup Breakout: Shelton managed to have the better singles career of the two by far, although as a team they have more drawing power than either of them separately.
- Cool Shades: Benjamin would occasionally don a pair.
- Darkskinned Blonde: Benjamin as "the Gold Standard."
- Dead Older Brother: Charlie's brother Russ.
- Ensemble Darkhorse: The IWC loves this tag team.
- Heterosexual Life Partners: In real life. Benjamin was the best man to Haas' wedding.
- Holy Shit Quotient
- Jack of All Stats
- Jerk Jock
- Let's Get Dangerous: Benjamin's CMOA was the time he was drafted to Raw and found himself on the bad side of Villain Sue Triple H. Most expected Shelton to become C-List Fodder for the Game. As it turns out, Shelton beats his ass! TWICE!
- Lightning Bruiser: A duo of Lightning Bruisers at that.
- Pretty Fly for a White Guy: Haas is a Jive Turkey.
- Salt and Pepper: Shelton is more the Smug Snake while Haas, ironically, is the above.
- Spirited Competitor
- Those Two Guys
- Wrestling Family: Charlie Haas' brother was his tag team partner, before his sad death.
- Wrestling Psychology