- "I hope my strength holds out." "I hope your tail holds out!"
- "Yes, get up and teach him a lesson." "What's wrong with you teaching him?" "Well I hardly know him." Scarecrow and the Tin Man, my heroes.
- The Lion had some great one liners.
- "How long can ya stay fresh in that can?"
- "Trapped! Trapped like mice – er – rats!"
- "There's just one thing I want you guys to do... talk me out of it!"
- Of of his best moments is the one where he says nothing at all. "Ehhhhh... and YOU, Lion!" Lion is of course too frightened to speak. "WELL?!" The Lion promptly faints.
- Despite not having any brains, the Scarecrow makes a very good point. "I don't know. But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they?"
- "...Shucks, folks, I'm speechless!"
- "The Great Oz has spoken! Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"
- Aunt Em: "Almira Gulch, just because you own half the county doesn't mean that you have the power to run the rest of us. For twenty-three years, I've been dying to tell you what I thought of you! And now... well, being a Christian woman, I can't say it!" Of course that particular scene borders onto Moment of Awesome territory.
- This Troper recalls seeing the film in theathers after 70 years and the crowd still getting a huge laugh out of this line...
Dorothy: Professor Marvel, why can't we go with you and see all the crowned heads of Europe?
Professor Marvel: Do you know any?! .... Oh, you mean the things...
- This exchange:
Dorothy: Weren't you frightened?
Wizard of Oz: Frightened? Child, you're talking to a man who's laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom, and chuckled at catastrophe... I was petrified.
- When Gilda tells the Wicked Witch to "Begone! Before someone drops a house on you!" the Witch actually looks up in alarm!
- "You mean she bit ya?" "No, her dog." "Ohh...she bit her dog, eh?"