|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
A movie marketed by Disney starring Samson the lion and his son, Ryan, an anaconda named Larry, a koala named Nigel, a giraffe named Bridget, and a squirrel named Benny.
After an argument with his dad, Ryan ran away to the African wild to be like his father. Samson searches for him to bring him back home to the zoo with help from his friends. During their search, Larry, Nigel, and Bridget notice Samson's odd behavior, unusual for a lion of his caliber.
The Wild provides examples of:
- Alternative Foreign Theme Song: The theme song for the Japanese version of The Wild is called "Prisoner of Love" by the Gospellers.
- Anthropomorphic Zig-Zag
- Ascended to Carnivorism: The wildebeest.
- Butt Monkey: Nigel. Let's see, he's trampled by flamingos, has his head stuck in a coke can, falls off a boat and is spun round until he feels sick.
- Becoming the Mask: Samson.
- Cloudcuckoolander: Larry.
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: The antagonists are a herd of wildebeests... with near-flawless dance moves.
- Covers Always Lie: The posters for this movie seem to imply that the sewer crocodiles are the villains. In the movie, they're actually friendly characters who don't really play a big part of the movie other than lead Samson and his friends to the Statue of Liberty.
- Defrosting Ice Queen: Bridget.
- Dueling Movies: With Madagascar, which ironically had Ben Stiller, whereas this has Janeane Garofalo, both of whom have collaborated together before.
- Dumbass Has a Point: Larry the anaconda is normally silly and aloof, but his stroke of brilliance comes when he suggests that they use their "secret plan" from curling to beat the wildebeests.
- Everythings Nuttier With Squirrels: Benny.
- Eyes of Gold: Samson and Ryan.
- Five-Man Band:
- Hollywood Chameleons
- I Have No Son: Samson's father forsake him for not being a real lion.
- Interspecies Romance: Bridget and Benny. It's a one-sided romance.
- Jerkass: Colin the hyrax. He feels insulted that Samson won't eat him. He bumps into a tree as he walks away insulting Samson and his friends, and curses at the tree for ruining his moment.
- Missing Mom: Galena, Samson's wife and Ryan's mother. She was never even mentioned onscreen and it is thought she died. But she appeared in a deleted scene, where she's worried that her husband and son are in danger and relies on Benny to find them.
- My God, What Have I Done?: Let's see...before Samson and his friends could win in turtle hockey, Ryan accidentally starts a stampede, which causes his dad the game. Then Samson berates his son for causing them the game, calls him out for always moping around, and asks if he did this because he couldn't roar. The look on his son's face tells us that Samson immediately regretted saying that and instantly tried to apologize. We later learn why he felt bad saying that.
- Oh Crap: Ryan's look after accidently causing a stampede.
- Say My Name: "RYAN! RYAN! RRYYYAAAAANNN!"
- Secret Keeper: Early in the film, Benny is the only one who knows Samson's deep dark secret. The secret turns out to be he's not from the wild, but was born in a circus. Strangely, the other animals didn't call Benny out on this.
- Seldom-Seen Species: The hyraxes.
- Was It All a Lie?: Samson tells his son and friends stories about his adventures in the wild. However, as they search for Ryan, Samson's friends find it odd that he tells them to runaway from rapid dogs rather than fighting them off. Then, when they're in Africa, he was unwilling to eat a rude hyrax. They feel as though he's not really from the wild. Samson says its true, he's a phony. And he's sorry for lying to them and unable to protect them.
- X Meets Y: Madagascar meets The Lion King meets Finding Nemo.