|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
"Yaathagggu (pronounced yah-THAG-goo) is a city surrounded by eldritch horrors and absolute darkness."
Pieta Gaolwynne is a perimeter watcher, tasked with guarding the city by keeping her lighthouse running and survey the ocean, which stands as the greatest threat.
But things aren’t right with her tower or with the city, and one unlikely protagonist is thrust into a plot of mystery, intrigue and madness.
Updates once a week on Mondays.
Contains examples of:
- After the End
- Bifauxnen: Pieta. See Viewer Gender Confusion. It doesn't help that it's only in chapter 2 that she's referred to using a gendered pronoun.
- Probably unintentional. Robyn seemed kind of surprised by a comment regarding this, stating that the Watcher uniforms generally don't fit well.
- But Not Too White / Humans Are White: Both averted. With no sun, nearly everyone has an unhealthy pallor, even characters with naturally darker skin. The citizens of Yaathagggu also exhibit a variety of cultural backgrounds.
- Cats Are Mean: and then some
- Cosmic Horror Story
- Cthulhu Mythos: A more indirect adaption than most, but it's there.
- Deliberate Values Dissonance: The treatment of Lydia and her baby are based on Victorian sensibilities around unwed mothers.
- Driven to Suicide: Matthius in the beginning, through a combination of drugs and the stress of Watcher duties.
- Eldritch Abomination: Par for the course. But they shy away from light, it seems.
- Expy: The lead investigator and Mr. Happur look a lot like Holmes and Watson.
- Girlish Pigtails: Lydia.
- Infant Immortality: Averted hard, twice. A child dies on-screen, and Lydia's baby dies in a flashback.
- Les Yay: Pieta expresses interest in a beautiful woman. Pieta and Oona also seem to have this going.
- Lighthouse Point
- Looks Like Cesare: Watcher Thire.
- Nightmare Sequence: Begins here.
- The Ophelia: Lydia, who's been institutionalized for schizophrenia.
- Steampunk: There is a lot of Edwardian/Victoriana, including top hats and Art Nouveau-inspired designs.
- Teen Pregnancy: Lydia, given that she's only 17 when she's introduced and was even younger when she got pregnant. The baby's father ditched her as soon as he found out.