|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
The Unborn is a 2009 American supernatural horror film written and directed by David S. Goyer, and starring Odette Yustman and Gary Oldman. It was produced by Platinum Dunes, the production company belonging to Michael Bay.
The film follows the story of Casey Beldon who is tormented by a sinister entity (a dybbuk), which seeks to use her death as a gateway to physical existence.
This film provides examples of:
- Abnormal Limb Rotation Range: Happens to the old man in the hospital after he gets possessed.
- Bittersweet Ending: Bordering on Downer Ending. Casey and Sendak manage to (temporarily) defeat the dybbuk, but everyone Casey loves (with the exception of her father, who was absent throughout most of the film) is dead, and she is revealed to be pregnant - with twins, something the dybbuk will undoubtedly take advantage of.
- Black Best Friend
- Body Horror: How the dybbuk tends to affect the humans it possesses.
- Creepy Child
- Demonic Possession
- Evil Twin: Kind of. Sofi's twin wasn't evil. He was just possessed by an evil force when he died. Neither was Casey's unborn twin.
- Fan Service: Look at the frickin' poster! Odette's ass is all over it!
- Fetus Terrible
- Infant Immortality: Averted, both with the Newton baby and with Sofi's brother.
- Made of Plasticine: During a particularly horrific vision/NightmareSequence, Casey has an out-of-body experience where she sees her own body lying asleep on the bed... while the dybbuk pushes his hand through her stomach.
- Mirror Scare
- Scary Black Man: The priest, once he becomes possessed.
- Someone to Remember Him By: In a darker example than most, Casey ends the movie pregnant with her dead boyfriend's children. The problem is that they are twins.
- Twist Ending
- Undead Child