|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
A 2009 romantic comedy starring Gerard Butler and Katherine Heigl, The Ugly Truth focuses on just that: the ugly truth between the differences of how men and women go about courtship, which can be boiled down to the placement of the hearts on the movie poster.
The main character Abby Richter is an uptight TV producer whose show isn't getting the ratings it needs to stay on air. In order to bring them back up, the station owner hires Mike Chadway to add his segment 'The Ugly Truth' to their show. Mike's cynical outlook and relationship advice does not click with Abby's romantic beliefs and they constantly argue. Until Abby's dream man Colin moves in next door and she wants to get his attention. She cuts a deal with Mike: if his advice can land her the man she wants, proving his theories on relationships, she will work with him without complaint, but if it fails, Mike agrees to quit.
Of course, everything goes amazingly well: Abby has started a relationship with Colin, the show's ratings are up, Mike's segment is incredibly popular and he is offered time slots on other networks. This all gets screwed up when Abby cancels a romantic weekend with Colin to convince Mike to stay on the show, and the two end up sharing a passionate kiss that nearly leads to other things. However, Mike believes Abby to be totally in love with Colin, and leaves both her and the station while Abby realizes that Colin only loves who she was pretending to be, not who she really is, and so she breaks up with him to chase after Mike.
The two end up broadcasting outside of the same event and end up having a heated argument on the air that ends with them confessing their love for one another, and living happily ever after.
Has nothing to do with Diary of a Wimpy Kid.
- All Men Are Perverts: Deconstructed, Mike only acts the way he does because he was spurned by a woman in a previous relationship. Otherwise he shows genuine concern for Abby when she warms up to him.
- Belligerent Sexual Tension
- Be a Whore to Get Your Man: What Mike advises Abby to do with Colin. It works. Also a complaint about the movie, as said below.
- Though in fairness to the film she realizes that doing this has netted her a rather phony relationship and ends up with the guy who knew her as herself.
- Brutal Honesty: The premise of Mike's show "The Ugly Truth" concerning relationship advice. Also a major part of his personality.
- Caught on the Jumbotron: Abby spills her drink on Colin's lap. She starts scrubbing quite vigorously. Of course, they get caught on the Jumbotron, and it looks like she's jerking him off.
- Control Freak: Abby.
- A Date with Rosie Palms: Mike encourages Abby to do this
- "If you don't want to have sex with you then why would Colin?" -Mike
- Erotic Eating: Eat phallic shaped food to get your man.
- Happy Dance: Abby's spazzy dance, as Mike names it.
- Hollywood California: The movie was set in Sacramento, but was clearly filmed mostly in L.A., it even involved a balloon festival that is prohibited by Sacramento law.
- Innocent Innuendo: What follows when Abby spills Colin's soda.
- The Immodest Orgasm: The dinner scene.
- Jerkass Facade: Mike, as evidenced when he corrects his nephew's behavior towards girls in his class and when he leaves Abby so she can be with Colin
- Matchmaker Crush: Mike for Abby
- Playing Cyrano: Mike instructs Abby on how to ensnare and hold on to the handsome, and comparatively charming doctor of her dreams. Instead of being interested in the Roxane of the scenario, however, Mike's Cyrano ends up falling for Abby's Christian.
- Precision F-Strike: Abby's been spending time with Mike, and it shows
- "Did you just say cock?"-Mike.
- Single Woman Seeks Good Man: Abby
- Slap Slap Kiss: Mike and Abby's relationship.
- You Know What You Did: Played for laughs during Abby and Colin's date at the baseball game