|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
The Twisted Tales of Spike McFang is an obscure Action Adventure/Action RPG game for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System and produced by Naxat Soft. It's a sequel to the equally obscure Japanese-only Turbo Grafx 16 game Makai Prince Dobrabochan.
You play as Vegetarian Vampire Spike McFang of Vladamasco, who battles the evil General Von Hessler, an evil zombie who attempts to invade Spike's parents' and his friend Camelia's kingdoms. Camelia herself is playable, as is Rudy, Von Hessler's repentant son.
Gameplay is an overhead view similar to 2D The Legend of Zelda games. However, instead of a sword, Spike uses his trusty magical hat to attack foes; the hat works like a boomerang. Playing cards are also used to attack, and higher levels means more damage. Spike can restore his health by drinking tomato juice and using tomato cards, but must beware of garlic cloves and other monsters that lurk about.
- Action Girl: Camelia.
- Action RPG
- Adorable Evil Minions: The garlic cloves.
- Amazon Brigade: Felina's Feline Fighters.
- The Atoner: Rudy.
- Big Bad: Von Hessler.
- Catgirl: Felina.
- Cool Pet: Cid, Spike's friendly pet lake monster.
- Dark Action Girl: Felina and Hydra.
- Demonic Possession: Von Hessler is possessed by the demon Owasa.
- The Dragon: Hydra; she's also Felina's mother.
- Fight Like a Card Player: Cards are used to attack.
- Forced Tutorial: Spike's training under Clarence on Fighter Island.
- The Goomba: Basic garlic cloves.
- Hopeless Boss Fight: The first battle against The Freezer.
- Lady of War: Hydra.
- Obviously Evil: Von Hessler.
- Precision-Guided Boomerang: Spike's magic hats. The strongest version will actively track down and attack enemies before returning.
- Some Call Me... Tim: Spike's trainer, Ching Cao Qiang, Clarence for short.
- Stupidity Is the Only Option: After you defeat Felina in battle, she tries to ensnare you in a painfully obvious trap. The game can't continue until you fall for it.
- Vegetarian Vampire: Spike eats tomatoes rather than drinking blood.
- Weaksauce Weakness: The Freezer is completely invincible, unless exposed to his one weakness, chicken noodle soup.
- When Trees Attack: Root, the protector of the Kalala water.
- Worthy Opponent: The Freezer may be one of the top officers of an evil army, but he refuses to finish a fight with Spike when he has an unfair advantage.