A 1999 Indian Tamil-language film, The Terrorist follows a 19-year old female cadre of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE, or Tamil Tigers) named Malli (Ayesha Dharker) in Sri Lanka on her mission to carry out a suicide attack on a high profile target.
This film contains examples of:
- Action Girl: Malli, of course.
- Oh Crap: When Malli finds out she's pregnant, after having been sent on a suicide mission. The father has already died from wounds he received in combat.
- Suicide Attack: The center of the film's plot.
- The Revolution Will Not Be Civilized: The LTTE are in fact the organization which began the use of suicide bombings, specifically the explosive belt, now taken up by Hamas among others.
- Truth in Television: The film is based on the Real Life assassination of Indian Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi in 1991 in retaliation for his sending an Indian Peacekeeping Force (IPKF) to Sri Lanka in support of the Sinhalese government the LTTE were fighting, and alleged atrocities committed by them against Tamils in the conflict.