|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
Dragon Age: The Stolen Throne is a prequel novel to the BioWare RPG Dragon Age Origins written by its lead writer, David Gaider. It follows the Fereldan king Maric Theirin, illegitimate father of Alistair from the game, as he rises from awkward and foolish boy to the deserved and rightful king of Ferelden.
However, that throne is occupied by King Meghren, the usurper. He is the cousin of the Orlesian emperor, and rumored to have also been his lover, exiled from Orlais for his antics. His servant and advisor, the mage Severus, hires an elven Bard (assassin and spy) named Katriel to seduce and betray Maric, but she begins to develop feelings for the rebel leader.
Also prominent is Loghain Mac Tyr, a main antagonist of Origins. As Maric's best friend and most trusted subordinate, he finds himself torn between that loyalty and the love for Rowan, Maric's betrothed since birth.
Tropes in this novel are:
- Action Girl: Both Rowan and Katriel can really kick some ass.
- Arranged Marriage: Maric and Rowan.
- Batman Gambit: By Severan. It doesn't end so well for him.
- Betty and Veronica: Rowan and Katriel.
- Bittersweet Ending: Maric becomes king and the Orlesians are expelled, but Rowan dies. Loghain has to give up his love for the good of his nation, and Maric kills his own.
- The Caligula: Meghren is absolutely out of his mind.
- Cool Sword: Maric finds one in the Deep Roads.
- The Corruption: The darkspawn taint everything.
- Deuteragonist: Loghain and Rowan.
- Doomed by Canon: To fans who played the game first, many characters are this.
- Femme Fatale: Katriel.
- High Heel Face Turn: Subverted.
- La Résistance: The Rebel Army.
- Love Triangle: Loghain is attracted to Rowan, and while she reciprocates, she is also in love with (and betrothed to) Maric. Maric, however, is (at least consciously) unaware of Rowan's affection and falls in love with Katriel.
- Love Redeems: Katriel's love for Maric eventually causes her to cancel her contract on his life and do her utmost to protect him.
- Reassigned to Antarctica: This is how Meghren became the regent of Ferelden, after he angered the Emperor of Orlais.
- Redemption Equals Death: Katriel.
- Vitriolic Best Buds: Maric and Loghain.
- You Should Know This Already: Which characters survive, and the overall outcome of the rebellion, are pretty well laid out by the game.