|YMMV • Radar • Quotes • (Funny • Heartwarming • Awesome) • Fridge • Characters • Fanfic Recs • Nightmare Fuel • Shout Out • Plot • Tear Jerker • Headscratchers • Trivia • WMG • Recap • Ho Yay • Image Links • Memes • Haiku • Laconic|
The Smoggies is a Canadian cartoon produced by CINAR and known in the United States as Stop the Smoggies. The Smoggies are a trio of treasure hunters with no regards for the environment. Their pollution is stopped by the Suntots, a people dwelling at Coral Island.
The Smoggies are:
Emma: The bossy self-proclaimed leader of the Smoggies. Her primary goal is obtaining the Magic Coral of Youth, which she believes to be the source of the Suntots' lasting youth. She won't listen to any suntot claiming the magic coral doesn't exist.
Clarence: Emma's husband and the captain of the Stinky Poo, the ship where the Smoggies reside. His inventions usually cause more harm than good.
Polluto: Clarence's crewman.
List of tropes in The Smoggies
- Antagonist Title
- Big Eater: Polluto eats coal, screws and he once ate a diamond because Clarence told him diamonds were made from coal.
- Polluto also likes drinking oil, which is the reason they couldn't leave Coral Island during the one occasion they wanted to.
- Cast of Snowflakes: There are a lot of Suntots on the island, and each of them have a unique hair colour to go with it. However, the hairstyles for moost of them are identical, making it easy to make background characters.
- Green Aesop: The Suntots use all-natural energy sources, while the Smoggies do nothing but pollute. A lot of plots revolve around preserving nature, and the Smoggies desire to destroy it or otherwise pollute.
- Henpecked Husband: Poor Clarence.
- I Gave My Word: When the Smoggies decided to leave Coral Island, they needed to replenish their ship's oil supply and their only hope was extracting oil from Coral Island. As part of a deal between them and the Suntots, the Smoggies could extract oil from Coral Island on the proviso they didn't take any oil from the tarbog's pit. When Emma wanted to break the deal, her usually Henpecked Husband invoked this trope.
- Loophole Abuse: Clarence might have given his word he'd not extract oil from the tarbog's pit, but Emma pointed out she didn't give hers.
- Minion with an F In Evil: Polluto
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair: The Suntots have a rainbow spectrum of possible hair colours. The Smoggies have more natural colours.